[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about the Austro-Hungarian empire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: image.png (51 KB, 1296x864) Image search: [Google]
image.png
51 KB, 1296x864
Tell me about the Austro-Hungarian empire
>>
it was shit
>>
it was okay
>>
it was great
>>
>>1368511
Why do they wear the mask?
>>
>>1368518
t. Romanian/Serb
>>1368553
t. Croat/Czech
>>1368558
t. Austrian/Hungarian
>>
It was just a prank bro
>>
Multi-national empire, it was fairly liberal for the time, but mostly in the individualistic sense. No real discrimination or persecution based on ethnicity, but the leaders refused to give autonomies to minorities.
>>
>>1368511
What followed afterwards was completely shit.

And the Non-Austrian Members will blame Austria for it instead of their own retard tier levels of nationalism and MUHism.
>>
The main problem with AH btw wasn't muh opressed nationalities, but that economically it was shit. They were barely industrialised, and even the few industry they had was concentrated in Austria and Bohemia. And they didn't really have an excuse for it either, for example Hungary managed to industrialise very quickly using loans in the 1920s. The whole empire probably could have done the same if they wanted to.
>>
>>1368905
You wot?
Industry in Transleithania spread and grew at quite respectable ratesfrom the 1880s. Budapest became the second largest milling centre of the world, industry giants like Weiss were some of the military's top suppliers, Ganz produced everything that was high technology at the time, steam turbines, generators, transformators, dreadnoughts, all sorts of machinery, and the list of these kind of firms, be it electric, machine or chemical industry is endless.

Just take a look at increase of number of factory workers in Hungary as % of population.

1890: 10%
1900: 15%
1910: 18%

Western European average was 30% at the time. While there is a noticable lag there was an undoubted convergence.
What you mean of 1920 was not industrialisation in sense as above, but rather a restructuring of industries and markets following WWI and territorial loss.

Also worth noting that while between 1870 and 1890 foreign investment in Hungary was 70% of all capital investments, the numbers changed and by 1910 Hungarian capitalists provided 75%.
>>
>>1368511
>1368511
multi ethnic but with continuity and purpose therefore enemy of ((())).
>>
>>1368878
I have no clue the differences between Yugo/AH and America.
>>
>>1369145
Not to mention the sizeable industries in Austria or especially Bohemia.
>>
File: austrian shattered dreams.jpg (62 KB, 851x640) Image search: [Google]
austrian shattered dreams.jpg
62 KB, 851x640
>>
File: 1466971933831.jpg (215 KB, 748x823) Image search: [Google]
1466971933831.jpg
215 KB, 748x823
>>
>>1368511
Glorious Germans created something beautiful, and then a few jingos destroyed it.
>>
the world went to shit after it was destroyed, the Holy Roman Emperor was the only thing delaying the ends of times.
>>
An example of multiculturalism not working.
>>
Best country in the world, they print the face of Franz Joseph on our mineral water.

t. Polak
>>
File: 2ManyKillMost.png (1 MB, 2000x1547) Image search: [Google]
2ManyKillMost.png
1 MB, 2000x1547
>>1368511
Solid proof that multi-culturalism never works
>>
It was okay but it had to die so we could build Grossserbiums
t. Serb
>>
>>1369331
>>1369310

>AH was multiculti

I want this meme to die.
>>
>>1369385
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>1368867
>multi-national empire
Corect

>fairly liberal
W-what...?

>No real discrimination or persecution based on ethnicity
W-what?
>>
>>1369331
Okay so I'm somewhat ignorant when it comes to the Balkans. Can someone explain to me why there are no Bosniaks in Bosnia?
>>
>>1369410
They didn't count them as separate.
>>
>>1369415
Ah, I thought that might be the case. Wouldn't that map trigger a lot of Serbs/Croats/Bosniaks, then?
>>
>>1369418
Lumping the Croats and Serbian together, ignoring the vaguely distinct Dalmatians and the clearly distinct Bosniaks must be triggering
>>
>>1369426
They are all degenerate anyway
>>
>>1369430
(You)
>>
>>1369391
Contemporary intepretations of multiculturalism cannot be applied to the ethnic interactions of Austria-Hungary.

Many prominent elements of todays liberal multiculturalism were missing, such as promotion of many cultures, promotion of interethnic dialogue, equality of cultures and so on.

The divides between various ethnicities was largely political that had historical roots. One of the easiest way to see this is to observe their societal structure, only Germans, Hungarians and to a degree Croats had a full society, while other groups largely lacked stratas above peasentry.

The whole issue is compunded by the fact lot of people were simply not aware that their prime identity should be based on their language (as instigated by nationalist groups), for but perhaps the last 1-2 decade of Austria-Hungary religion and regional identity was a way more important link - Catholic Germans married Catholic Hungarians, but a Catholic Hungarian never married a Calvinist Hungarian.

Austria-Hungary was multiethnic, and had a degree of cultural pluralism. Only in the larger urban center can we at all talk about any notions of interculturality, and no multiculturalism whatsoever.
>>
>>1368511
It was pretty interesting and it's a shame we can't have threads about it on /his/ without being memed to death

But then /his/ been cancered by memesters since day one
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.