[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Christianity through the ages
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5
File: The-Witches-Sabbath-.jpg (149 KB, 471x663) Image search: [Google]
The-Witches-Sabbath-.jpg
149 KB, 471x663
>AD 50

>comfort and feed the poor and destitute
>preach the word of Christ
>stop at nothing to bring others into the fold
>accept death rather than respond with violence against even the most cruel and depraved of earthly authorities

>AD 1500

>the devil gave this guy a magic werewolf belt let's burn him alive lol

What went wrong?
>>
>>1367527
the corruption of authority
>>
File: luther.jpg (155 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
luther.jpg
155 KB, 1200x1200
>>1367527
>What went wrong?
>>
>>1367527

no dude listen it was literally the devil and his dank meme armies ok?
>>
>>1367527
the concept of the pope and church heirarchy
>>
>>1367619
>Implying that any Pope ever agreed with werewolf hunts
>>
File: jesus-cleansing-the-temple.jpg (105 KB, 1038x730) Image search: [Google]
jesus-cleansing-the-temple.jpg
105 KB, 1038x730
>accept death rather than respond with violence against even the most cruel and depraved of earthly authorities
>>
Religion determined politics because the most important thing in most lives was eternal salvation, and communities were reluctant to tolerate forms of belief unpleasing to God.

It's just superstition m8, and the catholic church was getting wayyy too big for its boots. It's like a good friend who has one too many beers and he's suddenly a dick because he lets it get to his head and starts yelling about muh eternal salvation and starts burning things.
>>
>>1367527
It got institutions and popes and shit.
>>
>>1367543

If I might elaborate on this anon's theory a little further;

In AD 50, Christianity was a fast growing religion mostly aimed at the poor and destitute, which also attempted to bring in Gentiles as a political act to gain greater respectability. I don't think there's anything wrong or unchristian in this, even the followers of the True Lord of the Cross had to keep a long term plan of evangelization in mind. But by 1500 it had not just become the dominant religion of Europe, it was literally the European definition for human (my apologies for lack of a citation, I'm not quite invested enough to hunt down a fact I learned like 2 years ago).

So, now that there were no longer pagans to convert or heathens to hunt down or a need to convince other poor Jew/Greek people to follow, the Church became more obsessed with political authority than religious comfort. It lost the Holy Spirit, as it became *more* concerned with political matters than the concerns of the souls of the meek, mild, poor, and suffering. And so any slight offense became a target, often under extravagant and hyperbolic accusations, in order to keep the Church in power. No doubt the Church hierarchy believed in their accusations, but they believed in such accusations primarily because they needed to in order to justify their power.

>tldr: Church's focus shifted from evangelizing the poor to maintaining power, lost the holy spirit, became crazy.

>inb4 Lutheran shill: I'm Anglican.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.