[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about the history of weed.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 91997111.jpg (200 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
91997111.jpg
200 KB, 1024x683
Tell me about the history of weed.
>>
Cannabis is native to Central Asia, the Aryans were the first to use it.

The Scythians introduced it to Europe. The words hemp, canvas, and cannabis, go back to Scythian *kanabis.

Herodotus wrote that the Scythians took steam baths in it and shouted for joy. In Norse paganism cannabis was associated with Freyja. There are traces of hashish in the Celtic Halstatt culture. Sacks of cannabis were common burial goods among the Tocharian mummies in the Tarim Basin.
>>
>>1366360
It's THE most important source of strong, durable fiber in history

Hemp for Victory!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1oFcgLfgV0
>>
>>1366360
Would also like to know more than this
>>
>>1366443
Will also note that the thing about assassin's using hash before killing something is a myth. Hassan-i Sabbah was super devout and killed one of his sons for drinking alcohol, so it's highly unlikely he would have had his assassins get high before going on missions.
>>
I'll translate some of the interesting facts from Christian Rätsch, Enzyklopädie der psychoaktiven Pflanzen

Cannabis indica
>India, Himalayas, Pakistan, Afghanistan
>ritual and medicinal use in indus valley and mesopotamia
>documented as medicine in india 1400BC
>In North India and Himalaya use in shamanism, tantra, yoga and sorcery
>eastern culture of hemp use became known in early 19th century
>spread of use in medicine, as inspiration for artists and as tool for divination in occult circles

Cannabis ruderalis
>from Caucasus to China
>Herodot describes the use in Scythian culture, for example as cleansing ritual after a burial
>"The Scythian take from the seed of this hemp, when they go into the felten tend and throw it upon the glowing hot stones; this produces a smoke and steam that no hellenian steambath could compete. The scyths thereby feel a blissful pleasure that makes them rejoice in delight.
It serves them instead of a bath, since they do not bath in water."

Cannabis sativa
>from central Europe or central Asia
>finds of seeds in deposits from Linear Pottery culture, dated 5500BC
>in bavaria, finds of ceramic pipes intended for smoking hemp and possibly opium, 1500BC
>in China, mentioned as cultured plant for fiber and food (Shih Ching, 1000-500BC)
>Demokrit (460-371BC) describes a recipe of drinking the plant in whine, together with myrrh that gives delirium and visions
>Galen (130-199AD) wrote it has become customary in Italy to offer small cakes containing cannabis to guests to make them more cheerful
>spread of use in antiquity also to Egypt and north Africa

There is a bunch of other interesting stuff in this book. There is about a whole page with trivial names, also descriptions of ritual use, artefacts, medicinal use, preparation, pharmacology...
And somewhere was a recipe for "oriental happy pills" containing amongst other things hashish and opium
Someone interested in anything particular?
>>
>>1366360
>Used to make rope
>Dumbass Beaners and redskins start to smoke it
>White teenagers smoke
>Becomes a political stance
>>
>>1367169
Good evening Mr. Nixon
How is that War on Drugs going?
>>
File: starwarsobiwannatokee.jpg (10 KB, 356x297) Image search: [Google]
starwarsobiwannatokee.jpg
10 KB, 356x297
>>1367169

dude
weed
lmao
>>
Does not grow in cold weather
>>
>>1366716
Sources or gtfo
Arabs are known for their hipocrasy its even in text on how they recruited into their order
>>
DUDE
>>
>>1368604
WEED
>>
JOE ROGAN USED IT TO SEE INTO THE UNIVERSE
>>
Used since the dawn of mankind by every culture on the planet until around 1950 in every form of medicine and many forms of recreation; has been largely prohibited for the last half decade for reasons that remain mysterious.
>>
>>1367273
Well when the sun is out for 18 hours out and 6 out in or about for 10 weeks
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.