[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Redpill me on this man. Is he worth listening to? Why or why not?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: Alan_Watts.jpg (275 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
Alan_Watts.jpg
275 KB, 1252x1252
Redpill me on this man. Is he worth listening to? Why or why not?
>>
>>1361177
He looks like an evil wizard.
>>
>>1361181
kek

Don't you want wizard powers anon?
>>
Listen to his stuff about TV coming to his town. I think it's still on YouTube.
>>
>redpill me
>>>/pol/
>>
File: bryon redboon cue the salsa.jpg (43 KB, 446x456) Image search: [Google]
bryon redboon cue the salsa.jpg
43 KB, 446x456
Meme man for 15 year old Roe Jogan types. If you want misconstrued Eastern pseudo-philosophy he's your man.
>>
As I understand it, he was responsible for bringing eastern philosophy to the mainstream in the west, but misinterprets some shit. Why not just read the primary sources themselves? There are abundant translations of many works out there.
>>
>>1361177

"We need prickly people and soft people!" - Jew kike shill familiar dogma master Alan Watts

No we don't sugartits.
>>
>>1361232
This.

Why do you need someone to lecture you on eastern mysticism when the Internet has put their entire libraries at your disposal? And in case you're too lazy to read, there are even lectures by initiated gurus, monks available in English for you to listen.

As regards to Watts, he said himself that he was a dandy and a bon vivant, despite his alleged Buddhism, that he liked luxury items, and to live accordingly. Meaning he's full of shit. Find one Buddhist monk that lives like that, or a Buddhist scholar that will endorse that. You won't find any.
>>
>>1361395

Yeah.

He was a cool guy and he's fun to listen to but you should go for the primary sources
>>
>>1361395
Alan Watts also claimed that Zen for instance was more or less con game, with the intention of making fools wise by entertaining their folly. I mean a bit like forcing kids to smoke a pack of cigars. But in terms of spirituality the goal is to live an ordinary life again. Chop wood, carry water.

At the end of the day it's all bullshit and what's left is you here now. So what are you going to do?
>>
>>1361395

Fat Buddha.

Go back to monk school.
>>
File: ikkyu iku.jpg (108 KB, 400x480) Image search: [Google]
ikkyu iku.jpg
108 KB, 400x480
>>1361395
I'm not a fan of Alan Watts due to his new age misinterpretation of eastern philosophies and religions but his lifestyle isn't that much of a problem to be honest.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.