[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did the Trojan War even happen? The more I read about it, the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
Did the Trojan War even happen?

The more I read about it, the more it seems to be a series of military campaigns than it was an actual war. And the City of Troy, whatever it was based on, appears to be very clearly embellished for the story.
>>
>>1360426
Theres a high chance it was based on an event that happened even if the story itself didn't happen
>>
They didn't believe Troy was real.

>IT'S ALL MYTHOLOGY WAKE UP SHEEPLE

Then they found it.
>>
ILION/TROY IS BYZANTIUM/CONSTANTINOPLE/ISTANBUL.
>>
>>1360426
Yes. There was a real conflict between a coalition of Greek states and a city-state in north-western Asia Minor c.1200 BC matching the archaeological record of Troy. In the 500 years after as the story was transmitted orally by bards and singers across the Mediterranean the tale was embellished with universalities such as gods and human interaction and the quest for love.

>>1360443
I've been tp Troy, of course it was fucking real.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy
>>
>>1360426
>And the City of Troy, whatever it was based on, appears to be very clearly embellished for the story.

Not necessarily. It was long thought that the site identified as "Mycenean Troy" was fairly small, not at all the great city described by Homer, but more recent work has revealed huge suburbs buried under the surrounding fields, making the site one of the largest Bronze Age cities and much closer to the "high-walled Illium" of the myths.
>>
I don't think you've actually read the Iliad at all anon.
>>
>>1360426
The Iliad is full of failed attempts to breach Troy's walls. Could this indicate bronze age Greeks were not use to siege warfare?
>>
>>1360426
Yes it's also amazing how the names stayed basically the same through the oral transition.

(Hittitie names on the right)

Ilion/Wilusa

Carians/Karkisa
Lycians/Lukka/Likka

Dardanians/Derden

Mysians/Mysians

Acheans/Akawasa-Ahyyawa

Danaoi/Deynen

Basically the name of the tribes inhabitating western Anatolia and Greece stayed the same.

Basically the Egyptians listed the same kingdoms/tribes (except the greek ones obviously) fighting alongside the Hittities in the battle of Kadesh.

And they mentioned the Greek Achaioi and Danaoi as invading pirates from foreign lands.
>>
>>1360459
source on that claim?
>>
>>1361212
Nobody in antiquity was very good at siege warfare.

Assyrians were considered the experts of their time. Until Alexander most sieges just involved starting out your opponents.
>>
>>1360459
Just fuck off, all right?

You're not insightful, you're clearly a demented fuck, just fuck off.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.