[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can religious people be good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 120px-ReligiousSymbolsIndian.png (7 KB, 120x120) Image search: [Google]
120px-ReligiousSymbolsIndian.png
7 KB, 120x120
I was raised Christian and truly believed until I turned 16. Ever since then when a "why are you not religious, anon" Conversation comes up I ask the same question.

How can you truly believe hell exist and still pretend you're a compassionate person?

I see stuff like #prayfororlando being posted by people who go to church and learn from a book that teaches gay people will burn in hell forever.

The same people who are horrified at seeing ww2 camps worship a being that created a camp that makes those look like amateur hour.

I ask these people do they think I'm a decent person (yes) , but they get really uncomfortable when I then ask if I deserve to burn alive forever.

So my question to yall religious people out there. How do you personally merge modern values (compassion for strangers) with religious scripture?
>>
>>1345537
This is a very presumptive thread. For one, not all religions have a hell. Two, even in Christianity and Islam, people bend the holy books to fit their own doctrines. There are plenty of pastors that think being gay is a-okay and there are a scarce amount of imams that believe the same thing.
>>
Fucking summerfags.

>Can religious people be good?

Obnoxiously so.

I see stuff like #prayfororlando being posted by people who go to church and learn from a book that teaches gay people will burn in hell forever.

Its easier for people to be angry at faggots than to teach them how to be men. Fags are taught by society that wanting to fuck other men in the ass means they should acts like whiny little bitches. The homosex on out, k, and fit are pretty cool.

>The same people who are horrified at seeing ww2 camps worship a being that created a camp that makes those look like amateur hour.

giving two fucks about one group of people killing another when you belong to niether group. Why the fuck do you care? are they your group? then fuck them. Your altruism is misplaced. altruism in animals is based on shared highly heritable traits - essentially an evolutionary tool to pass on the genes of your brothers and neighbors in order to pass on your own (since you share genes).

Your whole post is bait, but I bit.
>>
>>1345537

Also, if they're praying for someone they believe is going to hell, that shows compassion.

As for the WW2 camps, don't forget there are a lot of people that also think the Jews deserved it or that the Jews really were responsible for WW1.
>>
>>1345595
>Two, even in Christianity and Islam, people bend the holy books to fit their own doctrines. There are plenty of pastors that think being gay is a-okay and there are a scarce amount of imams that believe the same thing.
do they still believe there is a hell which people go to? you move that goal-post anon
>>
>>1345614
not the other guy, but they have their own goal-post moving concepts like being in hell for only a finite amount of time.
>>
I'm not that religious (i'm a Deist) but from what i can gather this is what i think.

Well for starters Good and Bad are subjective, and so are values.
What one person finds good to them could be bad to someone else etc etc.
Anyway, people "usually" follow religion blindly asking no questions, and just go along with what was told. A second reason why someone would do that is that they believe your values on something (love/sex) contradict to those written in the bible which makes it wrong. Those people believe you can be a kind person and treat people equality, but if you do that one wrong act, you are concerned evil.

Think of it like this, there are a set of 100 rules, but you only follow 99 of them. By not following that one rule you just broke the law. Therefore you deserve punishment, which is hell.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.