[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hannibal’s crossing of the Alps
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: hannibal-army.jpg (90 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
hannibal-army.jpg
90 KB, 640x480
Dear /his/, /out/ here. Do you guys know what the average infantry man carryed in terms of clothing, equipment and food?
>>
Probably like some bedding, toilet paper, a flashlight, and some fruit roll-ups.
>>
>>1340925
No mora knife?
>>
>>1340782
floor
dinnerware
some tools
some clothing they managed to get
valuables (objective and subjective)
>>
Keen sense of adventure and a desire to rape whitey.
>>
File: 1466714679682.jpg (7 KB, 231x250) Image search: [Google]
1466714679682.jpg
7 KB, 231x250
>>1341455
>floor
>>
>>1340782
I'm not sure there was an "average" infantryman in Hannibal's force, considering it included peoples from all over the western Mediterranean. He had Gauls, Iberians, Numidians, and Carthaginians, and some of those (e.g. Gauls, Iberians) were themselves subdivided into different and distinct tribes that probably had different ways of dressing and different things that they ate. There was no standardization of these forces - they came to Hannibal with their own clothing, weapons, and so on.

As with many pre-modern armies, the equipment and food of Hannibal's army was frequently just whatever they could find. Supplies would be plundered from the locals and Hannibal's forces were well known for stripping the clothing, armor, and weapons from dead Romans after their victories, as the Roman equipment was often better than their own.
>>
Carried a deep desire to sack Rome.
Many sheckles for jew mercenaries
babies for ceremonial killing
>>
File: Lord_Humungus.jpg (21 KB, 478x253) Image search: [Google]
Lord_Humungus.jpg
21 KB, 478x253
>>1341772
I think he may have meant flour, but I can never say...
>>
>>1342030
OP here, how do you carry flour, of any kind, through highly humid and cold terrain? I know you can theorize about the means to achieve such a deed, but irl it's nearly impossible given the circumstances and materials they had.

We are talking a lot of meters beyond the sea level here.
>>
File: 1464251189840.jpg (97 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1464251189840.jpg
97 KB, 600x800
Hannibals men got everything they need cause they black as shit. Wish he would ram it up whiteys pale ass for all time.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.