[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>vikings liked axes xDD when will this meme end? Most of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
>vikings liked axes xDD

when will this meme end? Most of the axes archeologists found were woodcutting ones and that's also the reason why they found women burried with axes - they were fucking farming tool used by people who were fucking farmers, later on they indeed developed thinner axes meant solely for war (and such battle axes WERE NOT found in female graves) but still their most common weapon was a spear and most priced one was a sword

so in other words they loved axes as much as Navy Seals like spoons and this retarded meme that glorifies propably the worst melee weapon in history that even their supposed poster boys ditched any chance they got should be punishable by castration
>>
File: d9BIZ.jpg (78 KB, 800x601) Image search: [Google]
d9BIZ.jpg
78 KB, 800x601
when will the memes of vikings end? Im fucking sick of them on tv, in the movies, and in video games. NO they were not epic warriors that could destroy any enemy they came across, NO they were not a group feared around the world, they were a band of savages that got BTFO by stone age native americans
>>
But Vikings are like irl Dwarfs and Dwarfs use axes.
>>
>>1334452
Idiot, the movie I saw about them and I think a guy had an axe. Idiot
>>
>>1334673
This
>>
File: Tapisserie_agriculture.jpg (236 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Tapisserie_agriculture.jpg
236 KB, 1024x768
>what are dane axes
>>
>>1334630
Not all of them I saw one doccumentary movie called Hobbit and they used swords as well.
>>
>>1334684
And how many vikings used Dane Axes? Not to mention they weren't a thing in their early raids.
>>
>>1334616
To be fair, the vikings trait in that don't make them much else than supreme rapists.
>>
>>1334630
There are two sub-species of dwarves, actually: axedwarf and hammerdwarf.
>>
>>1334616
Vikings raped every one and the people they literally raped became the world's greatest empires, deal with it
>>
>>1334452
This is just plain stupid. There are shitloads of battleaxes from the viking era.
>wheres your prooof??
Where's yours?

If you're going to complain about anything, it's the portayal of the vikings as 100% infantrymen, even though Scandinavians were considered supreme cavalrymen even by the Romans
>>
i don't know what's worse viking fanboys or anti-viking autists
>>
>>1334452
Yeah but weren't they common because most of the raiders WERE farmers going raiding in the shit season. Most people wouldn't be able to afford a sword ( pretty sure this is common a lot of cultures, the sword is a noblemans weapon) and would want a backup weapon so they'd carry their woodcutting axe as a backup to their spear
>>
>>1334452
But, the low quality iron of scandia wasn't ideal for making swords, it was much easier to put an edge on a clump of it and call it a day.

Swords were always more sophisticated, vikings used axes more than swords and probably more than they used spears.

Swords need to be tempered, axes don't.
Swords take longer to make and require a more skilled smith, most villages didn't have numerous skilled smithies.

Axes are simple, we also know they revered them because of the amount of dualbladed ceremonial axes we find.
>>1334616
They were a warrior culture, they are pretty alright guys all things considered.
>>1334717
Probably quite a few.
>>1336461
>Scandinavians were considered supreme cavalrymen even by the Romans
source?

Vikings were entirely infantrymen, you'd be hardpressed to find any source that records horses on longboats...

Give me 5 sources of mounted vikings.

>>1336521
this
>>
>>1337837
>probably more than they used spears.
Could you just fuck off?
>>
File: Dane_Axe.jpg (42 KB, 625x623) Image search: [Google]
Dane_Axe.jpg
42 KB, 625x623
>>1334452
It's called a Dane Axe.
>>
>>1334717
>Not to mention they weren't a thing in their early raids.

That's a dumb thing to say. It's like saying Americans don't use airplanes because
"they didn't use them in their early times" The Vikings still had and used axes at a point.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.