[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
economies in history
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: america kun.png (106 KB, 1092x2188) Image search: [Google]
america kun.png
106 KB, 1092x2188
i apologize for question that may be stupid or unanswerable. i really have no clue.

how did the difference between the wealthiest and some generic middle/lower class dude change through/before/after ancient hegemonies? where did they get the actual value output at "ground" level, where did it go and how did the amount change per person? was there a generalizable trend for value of types of goods based on world situation?

TL;DR what was the world employed in and where did the income go during different eras
>>
>>1331629
Sorry, but I need a decent excuse to read more than a sentence in a post that that has had zero grammatical effort put into it. If you don't care about your post then why should I?
>>
>>1331653
i get a feeling you'd have just made an actual post with content if you had any relevant knowledge
>>
>>1331665
I'm not so sure since I didn't take the effort to read your the OP. But feel free to spend a post pointing out how I put the effort into suggesting you improve your post quality as if that is somehow ironic instead taking an iota of pride in your prose by looking down and discovering wearing the shift key is.
>>
>>1331678
i am only compelled by a hope for knowledge, not a form of OCD
>>
>>1331678
Fuck off
Back,To Reddit. You queer
>>
>>1331629
If I understand what you're asking, most people have been subsistence farmers for most of history. In areas that were bad for farming, they were merchants, some handling money (sometimes for interest). This occupation developed more and more as currency became more common. Merchants often had to learn basic reading and writing, as did many religious classes. Between these two, scribes emerged, recording stories. In areas without writing, bards of some sort would perform the same function, because they still had better vocabulary and presentation than your average peasant or tribesman. All of this, plus agricultural surplus, helped fuel early cities.

With a transition to Feudalism in the West, guilds emerged. They were a cross between a union and a corporation and they often had religious authority as well as secular authority. They made sure things were of good quality, but they also charged high prices and restricted competition and innovation.

With the Crusades, there developed a new class of men who had wealth but no land. They either sought new business opportunities or just spent it lavishly. Another source of men like these was the discovery of new trade routes to Asia and the Ottoman Empire bringing more stability to the Middle East. The guys just blowing money employed artists and writers, who then wanted more goods. Moreover, the Plague increased the value of peasants' labor, giving them more pocket money. There were also explorers and conquistadors getting rich in the Americas.

A lot of these guys wanted cheap goods, and didn't give a fuck about the spirituality of the crafter. Gradually, guilds were broken up because they were incredibly inefficient, and people finally began to care. City sizes began to increase again, and labor markets began to develop as the apprentice-master system was replaced by employer-employee and more complex business models. That was the West when Adam Smith wrote The Wealth of Nations.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.