[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else find Middle English far more pleasing to ear, heart
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1465448723259.gif (3 MB, 200x180) Image search: [Google]
1465448723259.gif
3 MB, 200x180
Anyone else find Middle English far more pleasing to ear, heart and tongue than Modern or Early Modern English?
>>
>>1330529
Why?
>>
Sure, but only because of the "older languages always sound better because they're old" effect
>>
Yes. Modern Englsih seems like Spanish in the way it's simplified, for example there being no distinction between plural 'you' or singular 'you' makes it seem so.
>>
>>1330565
More musical and the rhyming sounds way more natural and less gimicky..It also just sounds softer in general, even though the consonants are more frequently pronounced ."Grah-ceh" just sounds more beautiful than the "grace" pronunciation of Modern English. Sho-wers soh-teh just sounds more musical than "showers sweet", iambs in Middle English sound like a melody, in Modern English they sound like drum.

>>1330608
This distinction persists into Middle English though, although the distinction between plural nominative and plural accusative has mostly attenuated by the end of Shakespeare's plays (albeit preserved in the King James Bible, created around the same time).
>>
>>1330614
the distinction persists into *Early Modern English
>>
>>1330529
I'm curious.
Does anyone actually have the source on this gif?
>>
>>1330617
Me too.
>>
Same deal with Scots. Modern Scots just feels like English with an accent but Middle Scots was its own thing.

>Sellikis quhae Scots. Prasand Scots ainley resymblit Southron quhae a chanter quihilke Myddell Scottis quhis its ain leid.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJxo4_Eza2I
>>
>>1330617
>>1331155
In a way, this is pertinent to the board. She is Stacy Donovan, part of the golden era of adult film history. I don't know what film in particular is that scene from, but you can start your research with the info provided.
>>
In other news, Constantine continues to display the fact he extensively fetishes all that is medieval.

O the subject of middle English itself: REEEEEEE! 1066 Worst day of my life!
>>
>>1334069
>He
>>
Anglo saxon > middle english
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.