[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I see these scenarios/"problems" a lot in news media.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: sdc.jpg (81 KB, 766x485) Image search: [Google]
sdc.jpg
81 KB, 766x485
I see these scenarios/"problems" a lot in news media. Are they really a problem? Isn't this an open and shut case?

To me it seems crystal clear what the self-driving car should do in case of an accident. Prioritize the safety of its passengers. When you buy a gun, you don't want it to shoot you when you're in danger. You want the gun to shoot the person I'm targetting. In the case of the car, everyone wants the $50,000 car they bought to protect them. Like everything with self-determination and limited agency, we are all responsible for our own safety. If yours and mine come into conflict, everyone has the natural right to defend themselves. Asking others to die for you seems bit too retarded.

Going completely off, to me, it seems the "problem" is not self-driving cars, but rather liberals/liberal media and their lack of sense of personal responsibility and rights.

In anycase, what's /his/ thoughts on self driving car ethics.
>>
>>1329544
>I see these scenarios/"problems" a lot in news media.

What scenarios you stupid sperg?
>>
>>1329559
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/10/the-ethics-of-autonomous-cars/280360/

Ethics of self-driving car, specifically the actions it should take during accidents that involve multiple humans
>>
>>1329563

It sounds like less of a problem than with human drivers. In fact that article agrees; we have "time to get it right."

>Going completely off, to me, it seems the "problem" is not self-driving cars, but rather liberals/liberal media and their lack of sense of personal responsibility and rights.

Literally what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>1329587
The whole issues are raised by liberals because they think AI car owners should kill themselves.
>>
>>1329595

No, the issue is raised by luddite conservatives because they think their cars will kill them.
>>
>>1329544
>To me it seems crystal clear what the self-driving car should do in case of an accident.

wew friend, I'm glad we have such a genius here among us shitposters. I'll bet lawyers and industries the world over are heaving a sigh of relief, safe in the knowledge that this brilliant Anon has singlehandedly debunked every assumption about culpability, responsiblity, and liability that has stifled us from achieving his euphoric dream all this time.
>>
the day a computer can make driving decisions in real time is the day i eat my hat. Way too many variables
>>
>>1329624
You're dumb m8. Computers can already do that on a rudimentary level, all that matters now is refining it. That will take maybe a decade or two.
>>
>>1329624
But people make those same decisions all the time, and a modern Iphone has more computing power than your brain.

You don't seem to understand that a self-driving car doesn't need to be perfect, it just need to be better than humans, just like the chess machine that beat Gary Gasparov just had to be better than him.
>>
>>1329544
>the problem is ... liberals/liberal media
Do you paranoid skitzophrenics have some kind of fatwa where you have to go around the entire website and shit up as many boards as you can? Do you earn goodboy points if you spread the gospel the hardest?
>>
File: 1462776759167.jpg (437 KB, 1508x1493) Image search: [Google]
1462776759167.jpg
437 KB, 1508x1493
>>1329662
>>
>>1329624
Ther'e s self driving cars in san francisco right now. They have a good record. One accident caused, ever. At 2mph.
>>
I just thought of something, interesting. Given the future self-driving cars will have so much data regarding its surroundings and its own driving capacity. Given that future internet and computer would be faster. What if the moment an possible accident is detected, the car submits a model of the situation to an internet server and let the super computers crunch multiple simulations about whats the best outcome in x amount of time, then submit it back to the car for processing, that could save a lot of trouble. If simulations could be done that fast. It doesn't even have to be super computer/internet data being sent. It could simply be a powerful future computer residing in the car doing its own simulations on potential accidents.
>>
>>1329624
the day a human can make driving decisions in real time is the day i eat my hat. Way too many variables
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.