[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>This man is considered the face of the French Revolution
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: Standing[1].jpg (47 KB, 306x437) Image search: [Google]
Standing[1].jpg
47 KB, 306x437
>He created 2,200 noble titles
That's a decrease from the 140,000, but it's a massive increase from the ZERO titles of 1789. How is this guy even different from a semi-enlightened Ancien Regime noble like Frederick the Great or even Louis XVI? He might even be worse considering he didn't preserve an existing nobility, but went ahead and created an entirely new one.
>>
He gave out titles to his family members who were all bunch of illiterate Corsican peasants

Most of his marshals were of lower class, Murat whom he appointed King of Italy was a son of a farmer and an innkeeper

By this Napoleon literally said huge "fuck you" to European nobility and turned into a fucking joke
>>
>>1324418
*turned it
>>
>Napoleon
>French Revolution

u fucking wot m8?
>>
>>1324425
There would be no Napoleon without French revolution
>>
>>1324428
Yeah, but I've literally never - ever - heard anyone refer to him as "the face of the French Revolution". If anything, in my experience he's usually referred to as the end of the same.
>>
>>1324443
Well he was certainly the greatest thing to come out of Revolution so there's that i guess
>>
>>1324447
Sure, but he was a product of the revolution more than a participant.

I'd say that the face of the FR would have to be Robespierre.
>>
>>1324428
And also some of the people in this thread wouldn't exist due to the butterfly effect of the French revolution.
Napoleon is the face of the F.R.
does not follow from
Napoleon wouldn't exist without it (even if you mean as a dictator)
>>
>>1324463
The thing with French Revolution is that it really has no central figurehead no matter how hard you search for it, it's so diverse in policies that have been tried out during this period, they've passed a way from constitutional monarchy to republican dictatorship in just a year or two. And at the end you got the Directorate which was almost pseudo-reactionary in some points. And it all with a military dictatorship of Napoleon.

People like to view Robespierre as a leader of Revolution of sort but he was ultimately just another part of the machine that couldn't be stopped once it started working.
>>
>>1324472
It depends really, it's all about perspective

Don't forget many historians think the Revolution ended in 1799 with Napoleon. Some even go with 1815.
>>
>>1324480
>military dictatorship
I want this meme to end.
http://www.napoleon.org/en/history-of-the-two-empires/articles/was-the-napoleonic-regime-a-military-dictatorship/

Napoleon tried to keep his generals out of politics as much as possible.
>>
>>1324501
Too bad he was a general himself :^)
>>
>>1324510
Just like De Gaulle. And Churchill was First Lord of the Admiralty. And general Wellington became prime minister. And general MacMahon became President. And General Washington was the first president of the United States.

My my, it looks like we're drowning in military dictatorships!
>>
>>1324512
>implying he didn't rely mostly on military
>implying Grande Armee wasn't the strongest asset of his rule
>implying he didn't fight bunch of wars across Europe to strengthen his power
>>
>>1324519
Which makes him different from pretty much every ruler before or since... how?

A military dictatorship means the military is the most powerful asset to INTERNALLY secure his rule. Internally Napoleon relied on a bureaucratic elite and actually tried to keep his military out of his affairs as much as possible.
>>
>>1324620
Is there an English translation of pic related?
>>
>>1324403
By the same people who think Columbus was the first European to discover America.

Don't let them get to you desu.
>>
>>1324418
>He gave out titles to his family members who were all bunch of illiterate Corsican peasants

False, the Buonaparte family was of lower nobility originally.
>>
File: 1462982918569.jpg (188 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1462982918569.jpg
188 KB, 720x960
>>1324482
>it's all about perspective
You are correct and I would recommend applying that perspective to the concept of "The Revolution" itself. The revolution never ended. It was a huge meme-complex of cultural & political values and class clashes (heh) that interdependently evolved and finally culminated in a dictatorship.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that putting a date on where the revolution ended is like the heap paradox. The world ain't so simple. Symbols are not the things they represent.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.