[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is shinobi simply an incredibly general term referring to any
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 385x294) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 385x294
Is shinobi simply an incredibly general term referring to any spy, assassin or undercover agent in medieval Japan, or does it actually refer to a more specific group of warriors/agents?

I don't know much about this subject, but want to know more about medieval Japan. Any other stuff on shinobi is welcome.
>>
>>1318922
Shinobi literally meant "Hidden Person."

So the translation would be "secret agent."
>>
>>1318935
So the former then?
>>
>>1318922
>Is shinobi simply an incredibly general term referring to any spy, assassin or undercover agent in medieval Japan?

Yes, though at the time there were a variety of terms used. I believe the term today basically covers anyone doing any kind of unconventional warfare
>>
>>1318976
Ok. Is the term exclusive to those in the medieval era, or can it apply to any time period?
>>
Things to remember when thinking about "Ninjas".

Ninja is essentially a western term which came to be prevalence after WWII. The correct term is Shinobi

Shinobi where a lower class than that of the Samurai caste

Samurai looked down on their warfare, they saw it as undignified and dirty

They were essentially the guys you see in the movies forced to go scout, they were poor, they were utilised as a tool

Koga and Iga are real villagers where these mercenary spies were mainly recruited from during the Sengoku period

They are not fucking magic.
>>
>>1319010

Also the black outfits come from theatre. Dark blue blends in the night much better. And either way dressing like any specific thing doesn't disguise you very well, most just dressed like farmers because no one pays notice to a farmer.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.