[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Voltaire >Literally starts his career as the Baroque equivalent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
Voltaire
>Literally starts his career as the Baroque equivalent of that guy who won't fucking shut up in cinemas
>"Wow, England is so cool! I love their feudalistic, aristocratic institutions that are so much better than our feudalistic, aristocratic institutions!"
>"Wow, Prussia is so cool! I love their absolutist and only nominally enlightened king who is so much better than our absolutist and only nominally enlightened king!"
>"Societal institutions should be based on rational thought, except for the arbitrary aristocracy that's totally cool even though I'm not part of them and almost got executed for offending a nobleman"
>"We should all be multiculturally diverse and tolerant of everyone, except for the Jews who Jew'd me out of my money once!"
>"I will defend your right to disagree with me until death... unless you happen to be a philosopher whose ideas are directly opposed to mine in which case I will get you branded a heretic by the inquisition that I oppose"
>"Let's also not forget about how Christianity needs to be destroyed!"

Rousseau
>"Having modern medicine, an agricultural system that can feed most people most of the time and clean paper to wipe my ass with sucks. We should totally go back to living in tents and chucking spears because humans are perfect and using rational thought makes us imperfect even though we're perfect!"
>"Freedom is fundamental, but what's even more fundamental is the freedom of the state to force us to be free"
>"MUH FEELS"

How did such lunatics become so influential they affected all of France and the world beyond for centuries to come? No wonder the Revolution was such a fucking mess that only ended in the restoration of the status quo.
>>
>>1311169
The people back in the day were just looking for answers as we do now

I wouldn't be surprised if our generation will follow some new creed just because it is new
>>
>>1311176
That justifies very little, considering there wasn't exactly a shortage of thinkers who actually knew what they were talking about.
>>
>>1311475
Are you surprised that people prefer flawed ideas that vindicate their own biases and dispositions?
>>
>>1311475
People buy into crystal medicine now, even though there is no shortage of western medicinal information.

It justifies little, but explains plenty. I often wanna be the guy that says everyone has their own internal rationality but some people are just dips.
>>
>>1311176
Follow the hipster trying to follow another hipster trying to feel like a hipster but really just following something from some previous point in time with little change involved.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.