[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do most people become morally better or morally worse people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: Kennedy listens.jpg (69 KB, 647x936) Image search: [Google]
Kennedy listens.jpg
69 KB, 647x936
Do most people become morally better or morally worse people when they personally witness intense suffering of others?

If so why or why not?

>inb4 what is moral.
>>
>>1310255
>Kennedy Listens

wew lad
>>
Especially if exposed to negative stimuli from a young age your >self becomes much less prone to mental damage in the future,so I'm guessing scars could be just a friendly reminder from your brain to avoid and prepare yourself to face off with said negative stimuli .
Negative experiences force you to either mature or become fully numb.
>>
>>1310255
I feel like most people become enticed to loosen their morals when they see what the average person can get away with in the name of self gratification and exploitation of others.

But I also think there's enough conviction in the world to keep us from becoming total animals.

Regardless, interesting question anon.
>>
I've read there are studies showing how people born with congenital analgesia (the inability to feel physical pain) typically lack in empathy.
This suggests empathy is formed by watching the suffering of others, and our morals are based on empathy.
>>
>>1310255
The same sun that hardens the clay melts the wax.
>>
>>1310255
It depends entirely on their personality at that time. Some people empathize, some people get off to it.
>>
I think that for most people, witnessing violence in their ordinary environment accustomed them to it.
They get used to it and their negative reactions, if they had any, gets dulled.
They start justifying it out of their need to live without the stress of moral challenges.
They judge other moral problems using it as a standard.
They create moral systems to fit the reality and propagate them among themselves.
Their customs end up becoming more violent as a result.

This is not a vicious circle, because it seems that there is a historical tendency towards appeasement. But I think it happens and can damage a society.
That's why I am against death penalty and industrial production of meat even though life is not sacred.

The "brutalization" of European societies after WWI is one famous example.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.