[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best Ships in the late XV Century/Early XVI Century
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: portuguesecaravels.jpg (88 KB, 560x380) Image search: [Google]
portuguesecaravels.jpg
88 KB, 560x380
Who had the best ships in the Late XV Century and late XVI Century?
I myself would go for the Portuguese Ships... I think that at this time, Portuguese had better ships than the Spanish, or Italian, and even the muslim nations.
What do you think about this? I am not an expert, so I might be wrong. But that's my opinion
>>
File: zhenghe vs maria I.jpg (83 KB, 500x316) Image search: [Google]
zhenghe vs maria I.jpg
83 KB, 500x316
No.
>>
Larger doesn't mean better
Well, could that ship fight?
>>
>>1308511
>chinese dickwaving
Both the ship and that picture really prove how insecure chinks are. And Columbus' ship was small for the time
>>
I believe that Portuguese or Spanish war ships would defeat that ship in battle.
I still prefeer the European ships
>>
>>1308500
>even the muslim nations
by the late 15th century there's no "even" about that at all
>>
>>1308565
Why do you say that?
>>
>>1308572
Defiantly by the early 1500s, the Portuguese were well beyond Muslim shipbuilders, though much of their superiority also came from their cannons being so much better. The Mamlukes needed to hire Italian shipbuilders to help them build enough ships in the Indian Ocean to counter Portugal.
>>
>>1308622
And Portugal still managed to stay in the Indian Ocean, achieving Naval Supremacy
My favourite Empire :D
>>
File: shiptypes.jpg (501 KB, 877x1255) Image search: [Google]
shiptypes.jpg
501 KB, 877x1255
>>1308500
We're talking about what? Cargo transport? War?

In terms of cargo, I would say that the Ottoman dhows have no comparison. They were cheap, compact, and efficient, within reach of any long-distance transport entrepreneur.

In another hand, warships. The Ottomans were good in quantity, but not much quality. The Portuguese, in another hand developed excellent quality ships, but not so numerous. There was one in particular - Botafogo - with 366 guns and prow spur - which broke the chains of the port of Tunis in 1535. Possibly the most powerful warship at the time.

>>1308655
>Half dozens of smuggling posts
>Naval supremacy

Please. Malacca was impressive, but that's all. Once the Ottomans assumed the post of the Mamelukes, the Portuguese enterprise gradually sinked.
>>
>>1308534

You're wrong, for warships the larger the better.

>>1308554

And yet they didn't, every encounter the Portuguese had with the Ming navy ended with them getting their shit pushed in.
>>
>>1309351
>And yet they didn't, every encounter the Portuguese had with the Ming navy ended with them getting their shit pushed in.

examples?
>>
>>1310460
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Xicaowan
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tunmen
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China%E2%80%93Portugal_relations#Sino-Malay_alliance_against_Portugal

PROTIP: Macao was a handout by the Ming/Qing, not a Portuguese conquest.
>>
>>1310474
>their shit pushed in.
>unknown
>unknown
wew
>>
>>1310584
>Portugal has limited presence in East/Southeast Asia down to that Macao handout and meme missionaries.
>These then were stolen by the Dutch.
Yes.

Had you been more friendly to local powers like the Spanish you wouldve stayed longer.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.