[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Layered Cities
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: Lasagna.jpg (17 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Lasagna.jpg
17 KB, 250x250
How do inhabited cities get burried. It never made sense to me that a lot of ancient cities have many layers built on top of each other.
>>
>>1308465
I'd guess it has something to do with rivers building sediment layers or something.
>>
They're like ogres.
>>
>>1308465
There was not much of a regular trash service, other than dogs and pigs rooting through the trash.
So the streets built up with non organic trash.
When a building was destroyed, they did not clear the debris away, it just became the new foundation.
>>
>>1308465
>raw cheese
>>
>>1308661
That sounds like bullshit, how the fuck do build a house on top of rubble, that'd be unstable as fuck.
>>
Mostly >>1308661
Generally, you can think of it as humans carrying stuff(anything from food they shit out to clay from the riverbed to build bricks) from the surrounding area to their place of habitation. All that stuff ends up accumulating, and you get a slowly rising hill burying previous constructions.
Mind you, this process takes centuries to rise a single meter. Most archeological digs aren't work on 'buried' buildings, but the parts of buildings that are underground(the foundations) are usually the only part that remains.
>>
>>1308465

Looks like you've got some nice taste with that classic 'go 'za there! Put a little 'cha on that and you're set!
>>
File: underground-tour.jpg (48 KB, 600x402) Image search: [Google]
underground-tour.jpg
48 KB, 600x402
>>1308465
Pic related is Seattle.

Shit happens.
>>
>>1308661
You are retarded or delusional if you actually believe that.
>>
Fasntnig question which I'm also interested in. IIRC, medieval peasants seldom had "floors" in their hovels - that is, they seldom had proper flooring that we today would have such as wood, tile, etc. It was mostly just a mixture of organic and non-organic material that was stamped into a thick, black sort of layer, almost like clay. Maybe that might have played a part in it? Who knows, time is weird.
>>
>>1308465
g's move in silence like lasagna
>>
>>1308465
Ever heard of a volcano, bro?
>>
>>1308465

Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpRP4xNIWbs#t=57m38s
>>
>>1309079
>>>/x/
>>
Earth is alive and intelligent and is actively trying to bury us alive.
Fortunately she's as slow as she is big, so we humans can shake off the accumulating dust, until we die and bury ourselves. But she just won't give up, and all our cities are doomed.
>>
>>1309097
Did you even watch it, idiot?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.