[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Reality is stable or else we couldn't even be here right
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 202.gif (59 KB, 300x321) Image search: [Google]
202.gif
59 KB, 300x321
>Reality is stable or else we couldn't even be here right now
>There is no truth/absolute knowledge

Pick one
>>
> Reality is stable
It isn't. That is why miracles of God happen all the time.
>>
>>1307225
lel what
>>
>>1307196
absolute knowledge can't exist because of our distorted perception of reality, or even the possibility that it could be distorted.
plus there's no evidence on reality being stable, and there will never be any.
>>
>>1308383
the mere existence of the universe is quite the good evidence.

Whats the evidence for reality not being stable?
>>
>There is no truth/absolute knowledge
This one because it's the only way to justify the quality of this board
>>
Truth is absolute; people are relative.
>>
>>1308411
Maybe the universe was born out of an ocean of chaos that things can suddenly pop out from into existence
>>
>>1307196

when you ask these kinds of questions OP, you need to VERY CAREFULLY define your terms.

Otherwise, questions of philosophy will devolve into semantics when different people are arguing different things without knowing it.

Define your terms and then this thread can continue. Otherwise this is a shit thread.
>>
>>1307196
You aren't making any sense.
>>
>>1310183
>reality is stable
>there are people on /his/ who will contest this

Oh my god
>>
>>1311372
Do you actually absolutely know that the universe has existed for longer than any arbitrarily short length of time and will continue existing for any arbitrarily long period of time?

If reality isn't stable then the current configuration of reality might have only happened 2 minutes ago with all the evidence pointing to reality existing before the beginning of this interval and it might subsequently change or cease 2 more minutes from now. Even if you think that reality in its current form continues existing beyond that interval it could just be a new discrete interval of existence with no evidence that the previous interval actually took place.

Sure I'm producing this argument directly from my ass but how do you absolutely know that this isn't the case?
>>
>>1311419
>you can't kno nuffn :^)

The fact you don't doubt your own doubting proves reality is stable, or else it would be utterly incoherent.

Even if the universe exists for 2 minutes before popping like a bubble there is still some law or principle being actuated there that would explain why it happened in the first place and why the universe takes the form that it does
>>
All of our observations of galaxies and stars, going back to the CMB, tell us the same laws of the universe have been in play since then
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.