[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is human life insignificant as all other life in the universe?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Morpheus_Redpill.jpg (19 KB, 317x292) Image search: [Google]
Morpheus_Redpill.jpg
19 KB, 317x292
Is human life insignificant as all other life in the universe? I know some of you guys have gone through this dilema in your head and have tried to rationalize the meaning of life but my question is, How do I go about coping with existencial deression and how can I make life my bitch so to speak. Thanks
>>
Stop thinking about it
>>
>>1302306
Not my fault Im a conscious being, compared to a dogs and cats
>>
>>1302306
I had a very long post typed up, but I did something and it's gone. I'm on my phone and it took forever, and I don't want to typeit all again. But the gist was this. Stop worrying about they why, the how, th what for. Whatever the reason (if any at all), whatever the cause, your consciousness exists. So make the most of it.
>>
i don't know how to pass this phase, i'm currently very nihilistic
>>
>>1302329
Dang it lol
But thanks dude I apreciate it, Im trying to make the most out of everything, I want to be succesfull but the lack of enthusiasm is whats killing me Hopefullyall will pass. peace bro
>>
>>1302339
same man.
>>
>>1302295

>have gone through this dilemma in your head and have tried to rationalize the meaning of life

why?
>>
>>1302360
Because there is no meaning, only the one you make of it, for some its Religion others don't worry about it. But the truth is we are a speck the size of an atom compared to the size of the universe. We could disapeer off the face of this world and it will have no impact, just makes you think about things more ya know.
>>
I don't see much to be depressed about.

So there's no mission to follow, no absolute achievement to be reached, no credits or chance for spectators to applaud at the end.
But what does that change ? Beauty is still beauty. You can still follow your whims and do whatever feels right. But now you have more control over it.
>>
>>1302295
Objectively, yes, there is nothing biologically special about humans that makes them inherently better than any other species. Smarter, more adaptable, etc, but not intrinsically better.

From a subjective standpoint (i.e. in the mind of anyone who /can/ ponder this question) of course. Biologically every species has an imperative desire to reproduce and stay alive. Any species would rather their mate/offspring/herd survive than some other species; the most the other species can be for them is good/symbiosis. As such humans *do* have dominion over all life on earth, as it's in our evolutionary interest to be that way.
>>
I know you're in your teenage nihilist phase OP
but stop being such a melodramatic faggot, life is quite simple, everyone wants to be happy, how to become happy is something that's been mastered by Aristotle, Buddhists and more a long time ago,you just got stuck on one idea when you can choose to view life through countless other perspectives and they will all be just as true, choose the best one you can because being the best person you can be is the whole point of philosophy.
>>
>>1302295
Yes, human life is insignificant in the universe, and yes, that includes you. There is no inherent meaning to life other than whatever trivial shit you assign as meaning. Lift some weights and you'll feel better.
>>
>>1302416
I don't know where the stereotype of teenage nihilism comes from. Most people, teenagers especially, don't ponder "meaning" at all.
>>
The only thing you need to realize, is that nothing lasts forever.

Now this can be a depressing thought, until you realize that even that thought, doesn't last forever.

If you feel like shit one day, then feel like shit. You are allowed to feel like shit. You are also allowed to feel good, and if you feel good one day, embrace it.

But if you feel like shit, or feel empty and hopeless for a very long time, maybe months at a time, see a psychiatrist and seek help.
>>
>>1302971
Those that do, do so because the end of highscool is often the beginning of a complete new set of structures and decisions making.

Asking about the meaning of one's life, from an existential perspective, is a result of the lose of anchors.
One's meaning of life exists before one can even think of meaning because one has already been thrust into the middle of an ongoing life and existence so when one starts pondering over his own meaning, he already has one by the fact he exists.
The phase in which you lose your anchors, the highschool structure, your dependency on your parents, highschool life etc... but have not yet found new anchors.

The cry for meaning is a cry of helplessness as one falls out of the stream of actions and goals he had but has not yet found a new stream.

Its essentially "I want to to act, I want to be an agent of change, i want to engage with life".
>>
>>1302295
>Is human life insignificant
Insignificant to whom?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.