[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The religion of Leonardo da Vinci
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: Leonardo.jpg (442 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
Leonardo.jpg
442 KB, 1600x1067
What was the religion of Leonardo da Vinci? I've heard everything from reluctant Catholic, to Deist to Gnostic to crypto-Pagan.

My favorite theory is that he was from a Gnostic sect that revered John the Baptist instead of Jesus, and that he's paintings are full of Gnotisc and occult symbolism and allusions to the primacy of John the Baptist, but I'd like to know what other people have to say.
>>
Seems pretty far fetched. Was there such a sect in northern Italy at that time?
>>
>>1295890
I don't desu I've only read analisys of his paintings. But I know for a fact that the Renaissance saw a revival of occultism.
>>
>>1295870
Could be. Gnosticism had gone underground in those times. Most of them went into alchemy.
>>
>>1295870
>"Gnostic sect that revered John the Baptist instead of Jesus"
Sounds like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandaeism
>>
>>1295890
There were sects all across Europe. Even the Templars were themselves Gnostics (or at least some sort of it)
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.