[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I heard that parts of bible are metaphors, but could an idea
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: aXm650xjU.jpg (78 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
aXm650xjU.jpg
78 KB, 650x650
I heard that parts of bible are metaphors, but could an idea of God itself be the metaphor?
>>
>>1289462

>the idea of God itself be the metaphor

the Koran actually lends itself very well to that idea, if you read it closely enough
>>
>>1289478
Islam is weirdly nihilistic...

I mean, isn't the Kaaba just an empty box?
>>
>>1289484
There is a holy space rock in there. Also its where Abraham or someone built the first temple or whatever supposedly.
>>
>>1289462

Yes. From my uniformed understanding, God shouldnt be conceptualized as a big white bearded dude in the sky, but more along the lines of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" metaphorically meaning God is in all of us and by mistreating your fellow man you mistreat god.

Gotta read between the lines.
>>
>>1289519
If it were a hippiecult as you depict it would be extinct by now.
>>
>>1289478
I like the part where he metaphorically rides on a flying horse into heaven and metaphorically visits the pits of hell followed by a metaphorically rant about the women burning therin.
>>
>>1289536
Fair enough, people tend only to believe this kind of idealism from afar anyways. Actually practicing it is against our self-interest half the time.

Shit's why works and saints are so compelling.
>>
>>1289462
http://nerdist.com/you-made-it-weird-152-rob-bell/

Should listen to Pete Holmes podcast when he talks to religious/spiritual people.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.