[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Spanish Influenza killed 50,000,000+ people >Literally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: flu1.jpg (904 KB, 1386x1066) Image search: [Google]
flu1.jpg
904 KB, 1386x1066
>Spanish Influenza killed 50,000,000+ people
>Literally no one talks about it or cares about it today.
Why is this?
>>
Because it happened right after the first world war.
Thins tend to be overshadowed if something even more important happens right before it.
>>
Ignorance: admonishing others for not knowing what you just learned of.
>>
>>1278155
I've known about it forever, thank you, but the fact it killed literally twice the number that died in WWI you'd think that would warrant more than the footnote it normally gets in works on this period.
>>
What the fuck must people have been thinking in 1918
The war just ended, killing millions upon millions of people, and then a fucking superplague comes out of no where and kills 50 Million more people
If that were in a fantasy novel society would've collapsed and we would've reverted to primitive civilization, I can't believe the world hung on at that moment
>>
>>1278242
One funny thing about it is that the plague actually started in the American Midwest, it was called Spanish Influenza" because Spain was one of the only countries that allowed their press to report about it honestly, instead of covering up the death toll for the sake of preserving the public's wartime morale.
That sort of deception would NOT fly today.
>>
>>1278171
It killed 3-5% of the world's population, much better than a let of stuff before it really.
The Babonic plague killed 25-60% if Europe's population and happened right after a great famine.
>>
>overshadowed by WWI
>not a man-made tragedy, but a natural one. WWI was the most destructive conflict in the history of mankind up until that point. Having a flu kill millions of people - while sad - isn't nearly as poignant on the human condition.
>didn't really alter society as much as say, the black death did
>>
It's talked about in epidemiology classes and the like.
>>
>>1278283
I feel like the governments kinda had to do that, if they didn't there would be anarchy as people struggled to understand why so many people were dying at that time, if must've looked like the end times
>>
>>1278138
Probably the entire world collectively blanking it out
>>
>>1278155
Improve your reading comprehension, idiot.
>>
>>1278283
>that sort of deception would NOT fly today
it's actually really cute you believe that good for you
>>
>>1278138
It doesn't have any political implications and can't be used as an arguing point for a political stance of any sort.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.