[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
would Caesar be a better emperor than his successors if he hadn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
would Caesar be a better emperor than his successors if he hadn't been assasinated?
>>
>>1263947
Define better? Caesar claimed he killed about 1,000,000 gauls and enslaved another million (no doubt exaggerated).

He was a complete sociopath who was mad with power, so I'd imagine he'd be similar to Nero albeit a better conqueror. his treatment of the native populations of conquered territories would probably only spawn more rebellions, so in my opinion not that gr8 m8
>>
>>1263947
well had caesar lived, he wouldn't have been an emperor. the emperors only came about due to and after his death. if caesar live he would have continued to be dictator for life and there is some evidence that he may have wanted to be diefied.
>>
>>1263976
caesar would definitely not have been a Nero before there was even a Nero. caesar actually treated the Gauls and other tribes he conquered rather well considering how many ancients would have. he showed clemency towards them and made alliances with them too.
>>
>>1263976
caesar wasn't mad with power. actually I would say he was incredibly ambitious and somewhat of an opportunistic to get ahead in the Roman political sphere. all roman senators that highly of themselves and your family lineage was incredibly important too. caesar came from the Julio which never was a famous roman family and never had any guy hold any trulyrics important magistracy. hence possibly why caesar felt the inclination to give his family name the importance it needed to be relevant. also, caesar grew up during the civil war between Marius and sulla and as a young man saw that it was becoming customary to do whatever it takes to get what you want political and with the Roman polity being essentially based on precedence, that makes using those tactics not technically illegal though certainly unorthodox.
>>
>>1263947
I don't know. Augustus did a damn fine job.
>>
>>1263947
Caesars death allowed Augustus to the emperor position which was incredibly good for the empire seeing as he was one of the greatest emperors not only militarily but also politically, setting up the strongest political system of the time. If Caesar lived perhaps Augustus would've never had power and perhaps the empire would've never achieved such glory as it did. But then again Augustus wasn't Romes greatest, there were many others so who knows.
>>
>>1263947
Cromwell's forces killed 50% of the Irish
>>
>>1263947
The only way Caesar would have been better than Augustus would have been if he had
>Conquered Parthia
>Not established Praetorian Guard
>Established a clear line of succession and a clean way for Emperors to be appointed and kept in power
>>
>>1264138
You are talking about Rome like it was an empire before Augustus became emperor...
You are aware that Rome was a republic, right?
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.