[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>ywn see Alexandria at it's peak >ywn walk to Pharos
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5
File: alexandria.jpg (217 KB, 990x742) Image search: [Google]
alexandria.jpg
217 KB, 990x742
>ywn see Alexandria at it's peak
>ywn walk to Pharos to bask in the greatness of Hellenistic Architecture
>ywn be on top of the ancient world

Why even live?
>>
Must have been awful. The heat, the mosquitoes and that smell of stagnant water from the brackish lake Mareotis mixing with smell of the salt of the sea.

Sounds ripe for dehydration and disease and general discomfort.

Nah, I'd prefer somewhere nice like Constantinople.
>>
File: 1432171703425.png (170 KB, 506x480) Image search: [Google]
1432171703425.png
170 KB, 506x480
>ywn visit ancient Helsinki
>ywn hunt bears with the Jedi
>ywn bathe in the blood of proto-ninjas

jdimsa
>>
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 179x164) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 179x164
>>1260516
> ywn experience the power of silphium
> ywn visit ancient brothels and partake in pure, affordable, hedonistic degeneracy.
> ywn waltz over to the slave market and purchase a young maid to warm your bed at night.

Why do I even live?
>>
>>1260516
Alexandria looks very similar to the gulf coast of Florida in this picture.
>>
>>1260579

I thought it was Palm Beach
>>
>>1260516
Soon after conquering Egypt, Alexander had a dream in which Homer visited him and spoke lines from The Odyssey. Among them was a reference to the Egyptian island of Pharos in the Mediterranean, and so the next morning Alexander travelled to Pharos and stood upon its rocks, clutching a golden casket and staring out at a scrappy, forgotten stretch of coastline. After a long silence, he nodded. From these shores, the most remarkable city the ancient world had ever seen was about to rise.

Studded with jewels and small enough to hold in one’s hands, the casket was a war trophy found in the lodgings of vanquished Persian king Darius III more than 2,300 years ago. The man who defeated Darius, Alexander the Great, found his most treasured possession – the works of Homer – inside it.
>>
>>1260793
In the years to come its most famous institution took shape: a musaeum (literally, a ‘temple of the muses’) which brought together the leading scholars in every academic discipline, and within it a library, believed to be largest on earth and sustained by the royally mandated appropriation of any books found on ships which came into the city’s port.

Within a decade, Alexander had died in Babylon; his successor in Egypt, Ptolemy I, orchestrated an audacious kidnap of the body as it was en route to burial in Macedon and brought it instead to Alexandria where it was ensconced in a colossal tomb.
>>
>>1260516
>The world's most magnificent city looks like the size of a town of 10,000 people

actually, it looks a lot less.
>>
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 587x333) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 587x333
>>1260811
>>
File: image.jpg (109 KB, 1000x283) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109 KB, 1000x283
>>1260886
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.