[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>read book on thing >watch documentary on the same thing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
>read book on thing
>watch documentary on the same thing
>I had been pronouncing all the people and place names incorrectly

IT KEEPS HAPPENING.

Who else knows this feel?
>>
>I always assumed the g in Agincourt was silent

I don't know why
>>
>>1259522
Depending on the quality level of the documentary they get it wrong more often than you think. I notice it more with science documentaries but I also know the correct pronunciation or a lot more science shit.

But yeah I fucking hate that shit.
>>
The trick is to never leave the house, that way you never have to speak to anyone (and thus avoid mispronouncing anything).
>>
>>1259522
it's because you're american... you guys couldn't pronounce anything in a different language if it would save your lives...
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 400x458) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 400x458
>know how a name is pronounced
>listen to someone talk about it
>they mispronounce it
>>
>>1259686
No we just tend to not care about people speaking English badly as a second language so you're less likely to be made fun of your own silly accent. We're used to foreign people speaking our language.

And cut it out with the ellipses you sound like a cock.
>>
>>1259686
>>>/GaiaOnline/
>>
>>1259522
>how do you pronounce Byzantine lel?

The problem is the fucked up English spelling. There is no rational way to tell the pronounciation unless you hear it, and that's not just for foreign words. I'm French, French being to my knowledge the second worst language after English for that matter, and even us can almost always tell the pronounciation from the spelling.

>>1259531
The various pronounciations of Agincourt I've heard were rather amusing from a French point of view. The t is normally silent 'because it's French' but it still doesn't sound French, it just makes the pronounciation stranger.
>>
Eye rack e
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.