[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are those things on the scabbard? Shuriken?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: dsc_0771.jpg (419 KB, 1200x797) Image search: [Google]
dsc_0771.jpg
419 KB, 1200x797
What are those things on the scabbard? Shuriken?
>>
>>1259284
Could be small knives or even a whet stone with a handle.
>>
>>1259284
Japanese swords often did have little knives on the saya called kogai. supposedly a boy would have to learn tho throw them accurately before he was given a sword
>>
>>1259284

They're utility knives that fit into the scabbard instead of their own sheath. The larger blade is presumably a hunting knife/messer, so would be used to finish off the wounded animal and carry out basic butchery. Then the small knives would be used for more delicate work.
>>
They are for sharpening soft steel, my grandfathers gurka knife from India has the same style of sharpening tools
>>
>>1259311
Dude, Kogai is a fucking shaving razor.
>>
>>1259311
>>1259364

Or as these have said, the smaller one looks very pointy, so it's probably a honing iron, similar to the ones still used today.
>>
>>1259284
One is probably some sort of boning knife and the other (judging by the shape of the bulge) is a honing steel; the sword is a hunting sword used by continentals to finish off wounded game animals.
>>
>>1259377
From the encyclopedia of Japanese martial arts

"kogai...A skewer-like implement often secured in the scabbard of a Japanese short sword or dagger.
>>
>>1259311
Throw them accurately.
Confirmed for never having thrown knives even once.
>>
>>1259284
Utility knives
>>
nigger stabbers, for stabbing niggers
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.