[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is genocide a modern thing? Considering we have been doing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 359-P1020970min.jpg (21 KB, 222x173) Image search: [Google]
359-P1020970min.jpg
21 KB, 222x173
Why is genocide a modern thing? Considering we have been doing this thing for ever, why is it so 'evil' in today's standard?
>>
>>1256139
We're not as far into human history as you may think.
>>
File: Safe space.jpg (912 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
Safe space.jpg
912 KB, 3840x2160
>>1256139

Because most people today live comfortably enough to care about other people they haven't even met in person. Today it's all about muh feels.
>>
>Genocide
>Modern

It my have been done on a much larger scale more recently, but tribal warfare and slaughtering masses because they're simply not like or a part of the killing party has been a thing for a while. Especially in the "a part of" context. Territorial behavior between packs of the same species is definitely not unheard of.
>>
>>1256139
>why is it so 'evil' in today's standard?
Because killing is wrong?
>>
>>1256367
Genocide is not the same as mass murder. It seems like the former is considered to be the ultimate evil - there's a lot of arguing if certain atrocities where a genocide or not (i.e. Holodomor), the intention of killing a whole nation is perceived to be distinctly worse than "only" killing a large number of people. The term has almost become some sort of fetish with governments and organizations declaring some acts as genocides
>>
>>1256261
Why the fuck is therea half life 3 poster there?

What does it mean?
>>
/his/ - "why is genocide evil?"
Can we put that on a banner please? mods?
>>
Because people are so comfortable and violent death rarely occurs around them and so any kind of violence on a large enough scale (in an area which means something to them) is absolutely shocking and terrifying and "unnatural", despite our species murdering each other for tens of thousands of years and being very good at it.

To cry foul at genocide you are either politically butthurt like the Jews, the Armenians or the Ukranians or you're a moralfag who pretends to care and yet will live in their comfy homes miles away from any kind of danger.
>>
>>1256687
this
>>
>>1256139
Because with other shit it can be fixed somehow
With genocide you are attempting to wipe out an entire race for good
>>
>>1256139

It's not new, we just didn't feel the need to create a word for it until the 20th century. I don't know why we suddenly developed sympathy for total foreigners, but we did.
>>
Actually genocide is a fairly recent invention broadly speaking, but it's a bit earlier than "modern." It's difficult to carry out a genocide without firearms, because blade weapons are more personal, although people have found workarounds for that problem. Also most warriors would need alcohol or drugs because it's difficult to kill women and children without being drunk or high. Genocide is also a waste of human resources. Even if you don't need slaves, you can kill the men and children and take the women for your own. Prehistoric societies especially tended to be a bit more frugal in that respect. Also warfare back then was endemic and low intensity, and the targeted group could just flee. Genocide is easier with sedentary populations. So overall I'd say you'd need to be running an agricultural society to carry out a decent genocide. Of course tribes and bands and chiefdoms displaced each other all the time, but it was more of a displacement or absorption than hunting down every last member of a group.
>>
>it's a "call ethnic cleansing genocide even though less than a million people died" thread
>>
>>1256139
Because there are better ways to go about doing things. Besides the more people living on the planet, the more urgent space colonization becomes. I don't know about you but I want to go from a hodgepodge of nations to having a hodgepodge of inter-planetary governments. Sounds cooler.
>>
>>1256139
>Why is slavery evil? Weve beeb doing it?
How is this an arguement?
>>
>>1256261
>care about other people
>muh feels

This doesn't make any sense.
"muh feels" means caring only about your own feelings, not just having feelings in general.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.