[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the Roman Empire better than the Byzantine?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: 1457229664291.jpg (376 KB, 1056x703) Image search: [Google]
1457229664291.jpg
376 KB, 1056x703
this question is stupid, so I will phrase it better,
The Roman Empire ruled from Rome compared to the Eastern Roman Empire ruled from Constantinople. Who was better?
>>
You're right, that is a stupid question. Quot homines, tot sententiae.
>>
File: 1463239208353.png (379 KB, 600x840) Image search: [Google]
1463239208353.png
379 KB, 600x840
>>1251417
constructive criticism is appreciated
>>
>>1251404
Basically your asking classical Rome vs Late Antiquity ERE.

I would much rather live during Pax Romans, back when the Empire was unchallenged and highly urbanized.
>>
Better in what way?
>>
File: 1461993825640.jpg (1 MB, 2204x1492) Image search: [Google]
1461993825640.jpg
1 MB, 2204x1492
>>1251452
I need specifics, for example, perseverance through tough times and/or better military and tactics.
>>
>>1251466
Individually late Roman troops were far better and had more demanded of them. Instead of fighting in mass formations against bum-fuck barbarians they used longswords called spatha and inferior chainlink armour. Ammianus Marcellinus makes clear that pitched battles became far more rare, with most fighting being done by small detachments of Roman troops waging guerilla warfare against barbarian groups. There was a lot more use of powerful artillery, cavalry and long-ranged weaponry. The army was also mostly made up of burly Germanic soldiers. The enemies that the Romans fought later on were more dangerous than during the Pax Romana with larger confederations of tribes, many of whom were Roman military trained and armed with similar armaments to the Romans.

Classical Roman army is somewhat overrated if you ask me. Too many people falling for Roman Total War memes and Gibbonian values.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.