[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As archaeologist focused on some other periods and tasks entirely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: abu-simbel.jpg (161 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
abu-simbel.jpg
161 KB, 800x600
As archaeologist focused on some other periods and tasks entirely different from Egypt, I find myself often underrating and ignoring this civilization in particular because of its peaks being set fucking far back in time and place from late Roman period I'm dealing with, but it's hard to deny that it could be the greatest and most authentic human civilization since the dawn of time. It really makes you wonder what we as sentient beings are and what are we capable of making from virtually nothing. While Roman and Greek civilizations are no doubt great achievements we can be grateful for and we live in times that follow in footsteps of those civilizations, Egypt seems something else entirely.
>>
>>1248478
Yup, I know very little about ancient Egypt.

I imagine a bunch of slaves ruled by an inbred royal family using religion to justify authority. It's just not that interesting. It seems like a standard kingdom that grew in scale because they had fertile land and many resources.

Yet I find Sumer very interesting. Weird.

Anyway, that's my uninformed impression.
>>
>>1248478

What I find interesting is that almost all of the great architecture came from the Old Kingdom, Abu Simbel being one of few exceptions.

That the Step Pyramid was built nearly 1400 years before Abu Simbel is crazy to think about.
>>
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3575800/What-s-REALLY-inside-pyramid-3D-images-created-using-cosmic-particles-hidden-tunnels-inside-mysterious-structure.html
>>
>>1252212
Wait what? Holy shit.
>>
>>1252192
>Step Pyramid

Bent, rather.
>>
The greatness of Egypt during its time and its literal crumbling into the sand today makes me wonder if we await aomething similar. How many Egypts will this world have in a few thousand years?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
What's being an archaeologist like OP? Could you tell us what got you into it? Your first archaeological experience? Do you get to travel and go dig sites often? Do you find stuff? Are we running out of things to dig up?

Pic unrelated: crystal Bodhisattva from 19th century Korea
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.