[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Jesus on the cross the true symbol of Christianity? It seems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 11
File: JesusOnCross.jpg (8 KB, 423x279) Image search: [Google]
JesusOnCross.jpg
8 KB, 423x279
Is Jesus on the cross the true symbol of Christianity? It seems like it was created by Jews to remind Christians that they put their Messiah on the cross and to piss off Muslims because they don't believe that Christ was crucified.
>>
>>1243847
>Is Jesus on the cross the true symbol of Christianity?
Yes.
>But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
>>
File: The Cross.jpg (127 KB, 1024x503) Image search: [Google]
The Cross.jpg
127 KB, 1024x503
>>1243847
>The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
1 Corinthians 1:18
>>
>>1244640
who is the quote in the image from?
>>
File: chrysostom_360x450.jpg (377 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
chrysostom_360x450.jpg
377 KB, 800x1000
>>1244951
St. John Chrysostom's "Homily Against Marcionists and Manichaeans".
>>
>>1244640
>>1244640
Who wrote Corinthians?
>>
File: Apostle Paul (1635).jpg (480 KB, 1536x1882) Image search: [Google]
Apostle Paul (1635).jpg
480 KB, 1536x1882
>>1245049
Saint Paul
>>
>>1245073
Sounds like he was glad the Jews crucified him
>>
>>1245250
The Romans crucified Him and it is something to be glad about because Christ's death attoned for our sins.
>>
>>1245042
Are you an Orthodox Christian?
>>
>>1245250
His death was a victory. God's strength is in his weakness.
>>
>>1245250
>I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

>>1245299
Catholic.
>>
>>1243847
Yes and no. It was adopted by the Christians around the time of Constantine. Thus we can infer that he brought it about. This combined with the shift in tone of Christianity, from pseudo-anarchist to state religion, it can be argued no it is not. Alternatively if you are a mainstream Christian then yes.
>>
>>1245478
Were you raised Catholic? Are you a convert?
>>
File: empty cross.png (9 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
empty cross.png
9 KB, 800x600
>>1243847
No, the empty cross is the true symbol of christianity, showing Christ's triumph over death. Crucifixes are grotesque.
>>
>>1246007
Is that why it's shown empty? Do you have a patristic source on that?
>>
File: image.png (133 KB, 227x320) Image search: [Google]
image.png
133 KB, 227x320
>>1246007 >>1243847 >>1243897
The cross, empty cross, or crucifix are simply false idols worshipped by ritual cannibals.
>>
File: ephesus_ichthys.jpg (26 KB, 282x185) Image search: [Google]
ephesus_ichthys.jpg
26 KB, 282x185
>>1243847
No, early Christianity was aniconic. A wheel symbol similar to the one used to represent the Buddha was used along with various ichthus symbols. The earliest certain depiction of a crucifix like image is the Alexamenos graffito from the 2nd - 3rd century.
>>
>>1247135
maybe the earliest depiction we've FOUND, but the earluest Christian texts (e.g. gospels, epistles) talk about the cross and its centrality all the time. Seriously, what are you talking about?
>>
>>1245975
No. I converted from Islam a few years ago.
>>
>>1243847
Dude the fucking Jews don't like being reminded that they had a hand in crucifying Christ.

Remember The Passion? American Jews were seriously butthurt with the depiction of the Sanhedrin. Which surprised me like fuck because coming from Catholic Philippines, I thought it was generally accepted that the Pharisees and the Jews arranged for Jebus to be nailed. Apparently things are different in the West.
>>
>>1245975
I'm a "revert".
>>
>>1248392
Welcome to the fold, man. I recently converted as well, though I came in from a Protestant background.

How'd your family take it?
>>
>>1243847
Christianity pissing off both Jews and Muslims?

Er, did you just now become aware of that?
>>
>>1248419
Only muslims use that word.
>>
>>1243847
the only better symbol would be the empty tomb, since Jesus's resurrection is what gives us hope of a new life. But that's hard to depict. An empty cross will do. Plus it is referred to several times in scripture so that's nice.
>>1245503
I thought he was a fan of the Chi-Rho? That's what his soldiers supposedly put on their shields. But since he also aboloished the pratice of Crucifixion I suppose he could have also promoted the use of the symbol as we do today.
>>
>>1248586
Constantine, a sun worshiper and donor of the Temple of Apollos, said that his vision was a chi and a rho flanking the sun.

He was never a Christian. He died a sun worshiper with the heretic Arius holding his hand.
>>
Remember to vote lads

http://www.strawpoll.me/10407759/
>>
>>1248548
I'm not an ex-muslim.
>>
>>1248609
>atheists are only 33% of the board
Nice
>>
>>
>>1248619
your secret is safe with me
>>
>>1248548
I think he's saying he was raised Catholic, fell away, and came back
>>
>>1248621
They're certainly a loud bunch of cunts
>>
File: Christ on the Cross (1631).jpg (304 KB, 1218x1710) Image search: [Google]
Christ on the Cross (1631).jpg
304 KB, 1218x1710
>>1248640
>The cross as a Christian symbol or "seal" came into use at least as early as the second century; and the marking of a cross upon the forehead and the chest was regarded as a talisman against the powers of demons. Accordingly the Christian Fathers had to defend themselves, as early as the second century, against the charge of being worshipers of the cross, as may be learned from Tertullian, "Apologia," xii., xvii., and Minucius Felix, "Octavius," xxix. Christians used to swear by the power of the cross.
http://jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/4776-cross
>>
>>1248643
it's actually over 50%, catholicfags started spamming votes to artificially drive up their numbers
>>
Random theory but I wonder if there is a connection between the Christian cross and the Egyptian ankh. Both were highly important religious symbols originating fairly close to each other (educated Greeks, Italians, and Levantines would have surely been familiar with the ankh) and they are fairly similar in appearance.

The ankh can be viewed as (among other things) a symbol of eternal life and fertility, the first of which is highly consistent with the symbol of the cross.

tl;dr you worship and ancient egyptian fertility symbol
>>
>>1248675
/his/ is a Catholic board.
>>
>>1248678
The ankh amulet has nothing to do with the roman torture device and early Christians were certainly ignorant about the ancient egyptian religion.

By the way, pic related is the Herculaneum cross, from AD 60 which was found in 1930, in a small room of a residence which was certainly part of the Christian community which already existed there at the time.
>>
>>1248534
They slaughtered my goats and sold my wife and child to Arab slavers. I escaped to the US on a merchant's ship carrying Bibles, vowing to return one day to get revenge on those dogs.

How are you finding the conversion from Protestant to Catholicism?
>>
>>1248619
So you're a muslim and a catholic.
>>
>>1248954
My backwoods preacher grandfather had a stroke, and is now physically unable to tell me about how he thinks I'm going to Hell.

Good times.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.