[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about Belisarius, /his/. Could he ever have become the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Untitled-1.jpg (252 KB, 800x841) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
252 KB, 800x841
Tell me about Belisarius, /his/. Could he ever have become the emperor of Byzantine?

What would have happened differently if he did become the emperor?
>>
the goths offered him to become their king
but he stayed loyle to his capo
>>
>the emperor of Byzantine
Sorry, you seem to be confused, but the helpful users of 4chan's History and Humanities board are here to gladly help clear this up.

What is often thought of as "Byzantium", "the Byzantines", or "the Byzantine Empire", is actually in fact "the Roman Empire". This is due to the Roman Empire in Constantinople's former status as the Eastern Roman Empire. When the Western Roman Empire was gone, the Eastern Roman Empire became the one and true Roman Empire, and as it was ruled by the Emperor of Rome. Any usage of any form of "Byzantium" is reductive to the dignity of the Roman Empire at this time, and lends credence to the belief that the Western Roman Empire continued in the form of the Holy Roman Empire, which was in fact not holy, not Roman by any reasonable stretch, and not actually an Empire in anything but name. There was also no such office or title as "Emperor of Byzantium" or "Emperor of the Byzantines" at any point in history.

I'm glad to have been helpful in addressing this small matter and I hope you have a good day :)
>>
>>1242787
You're right, I meant the Eastern Roman Empire, which was at that time under Justinian.
>>
>>1242787
Oh great
RIP thread
>>
>>1242787
I fucking hate this board
>>
>>1242648
it would have hindered expansion, he was needed on the front lines.
>>
>>1242648
there were opportunities for him to ascend to Emperor.

One was when the Goths offered him to become King of Rome as one anon said earlier, but he used it to dupe the Goths into giving the last of their Italian holdings to him.

the biggest one was during the plague, when Justinian was bedridden from it. riots broke out among the people and there was talk among the higher aristocracy about Belisarius being placed as Emperor to nudge out the dying Justinian, but Theodora had Belisarius dismissed from the Imperial ranks for a couple of years to prevent any sponsors from putting him on the Throne, then was recalled back to military service once Justinian recovered.
>>
>>1242770
If he was made king of the goths he could probably have hold on his own for a while maybe in the most larpish way reuniting goth territories but most probably he would be assassinated ipso facto by butthurt goth nobles tumbling everything he could have achieved in life and leaving Byzantium more cucked into oblivion than ever
>>
>>1242787
Shut your whore mouth thread murderer

Reported for autism
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.