[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why didn't the soviet union retake constantinople
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
why didn't the soviet union retake constantinople
>>
>>1241837
I better question would be - why would they?
>>
For what purpose? Communists aren't a religious bunch and they aren't interested in preserving Roman legacy.
>>
Why didn't Greece retake Constantinople?
>>
>>1241866
The USSR, post Lenin, was incredibly Eastern Orthodox spiritually. This was manifest through the incorporation of moralistic codes and obviously the legalization of Christian worship.
>>
WHY DOESN'T ANYONE RETAKE CONSTANTINOPLE
>>
>>1241875
Because its not that important.
>>
>>1241868
They did but they got no support
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megali_Idea
>>
>>1241875
Because that would be unethical

How would you feel about Spain retaking Puerto Rico?
>>
Why didn't Germany retake Konigsberg?
>>
>>1241882
Or Russia retaking Crimea.
>>
the USSR was interested in building world communism, however badly, not some 500 year old religio-nationalist feud over who controlled a city outside its territory
>>
File: 478d4a59f8b32183bd6577708ee.jpg (6 KB, 400x242) Image search: [Google]
478d4a59f8b32183bd6577708ee.jpg
6 KB, 400x242
>>1241837
The Soviet Union was largely atheistic.
>>
Because it would have made literally 0 sense in International Relations.

America would have been against it. Western Europe would have been against it and I'm sure the Turks would have something to say about it as well.
>>
america would nuke the shit out of them using its missiles in turkey
>>
Because they lost against Poland.
>>
>>1241897

Russians actually live in Crimea. More Turks live in Istanbul than Greeks live in Greece.
>>
File: Bait.jpg (16 KB, 308x308) Image search: [Google]
Bait.jpg
16 KB, 308x308
>>1241871
>was incredibly Eastern Orthodox spiritually
>>
>>1241895
They were trying to call. I'm sure you've heard of "the Second World War."
>>
>>1241837
Because communism rejects religion and instead uses cult of personality as its foundation.

Why would a fedora give a shit about taking Istanbul?
>>
>>1242680
>Istanbul
reported
>>
File: triggered.jpg (16 KB, 320x371) Image search: [Google]
triggered.jpg
16 KB, 320x371
>>1242687
>>
>>1241837
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNUsOaB5V2c
>>
>>1242072
They already had Koningsberg in 1939.
>>
>>1241868
Because Ataturk cucked the allied occupation forces.

Had that not happened the Greeks maybe, just maybe, could have gotten ahold of it.
>>
>>1241871
I hope this is bait. Stalin plundered the churches in the late 20s. He only saw the church as an instrument to control the people with.
Also, it was an arrestable offence to teach your child your religion. Communists would rather you die in gulag than have a traditional family founded on religion.
>>
>>1242759
>Communists would rather you die in gulag than have a traditional family founded on religion.
I'd rather die in a gulag tbqh
>>
>>1242762
I'd rather you died in a gulag too tbqh
>>
>>1242781
thanks for sharing anon
>>
>>1241877
>Because its not that important.
t. Mehmet
>>
>>1242825
I do not desire gratitude from those than can hardly be considered human.
>>
After WWII Stalin claimed Eastern Anatolia on the basis of Entente arrangements during WWI. The Western Allies refused, probably partly because Turkey had stayed neutral.
>>
>>1241875
Because g*rmans really love t*rks just like they always have
>>
>>1241875
Because it's full of Turks.
>>
>>1241897
Crimea is 85% Ruskie, was gifted away by commies in 1954, and has 4 Russian bases in it.

False equivalence.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.