[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why were the filthy rebel scum given pardons and amenesty after
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
Why were the filthy rebel scum given pardons and amenesty after they tried to destroy the Union and killed 620,000 americans. A bunch of rich men use the poor as canon fodder because a democratic election wouldnt have let them expand the industry that lined their pockets with human atrocities and they get a slap on the wrist? We should have at least gotten a Nuremberg tier purge of the upper echelons.
>>
Wew lad.
Lincoln was elected without a single southern vote.

Illinois-tier politics should stay in the state of Illinois.
>>
>>1233098
>Let's kill off a whole bunch of people in the land that we have just taken back
>It won't cause outrage at all
>What's reconciliation?
>>
>>1233131
>Not punishing captial crimes because people would get upset
>>
>>1233098
Most Union deaths were due to disease, likely the same for the Confederate deaths.
>>
>>1233098

A European with zero understanding of federalism must have written this.
>>
>>1233098
>Why were the filthy rebel scum given pardons and amenesty

Because sometimes peace is more important than justice, and that was one of those times.

Just getting the real answer in there before the inevitable shitfest.
>>
>>1233182
Federalism doesnt mean you can just opt out of the nation every time an election doesnt go your way
>>
>>1233188
I get this, but the war was done, the south was occupied, you easily could have added in trials for the csa elite in with the rest of Recontruction
>>
>>1234049
That's exactly why they started a war over it.
>>
Dammit, my 8th grade teacher spent 2 months on exactly this? Where did you get your education?
>>
>>1233098
Reconstruction.
>>
>>1233098

Wars are about expanding or maintaining power, not smiting the evildoers. Ya dingus.

Also did you not take 8th grade social studies? They covered this there.
>>
>>1234072
I know, and they were assmad faggots
>>
>>1234056
>I get this, but the war was done, the south was occupied, you easily could have added in trials for the csa elite in with the rest of Recontruction

They didn't want an occupied nation and an occupying nation, they wanted one whole and unified nation. Allowing the still well-respected southern leaders to retire with dignity was an important part of that.
>>
>>1234129
Why not just cut the snakes head off and let the south regrow under the steady hand of the union authority
>>
>>1233119
>Takes Lincoln off the ballot in order to rig the election in their favour
>Lincoln wins anyways
>"waaah Lincoln won without our vote!"
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.