[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /his/, this is a question that's been on my mind a long
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 802.jpg (160 KB, 609x843) Image search: [Google]
802.jpg
160 KB, 609x843
Hey /his/, this is a question that's been on my mind a long time. I do MMA and lift weights and I get hurt all the fucking time. Just earlier this year, I had to train around a knee problem that I got from running too much, and I think now I've got a borked shoulder from lifting. I've also had tendinitis in both wrists which has thankfully subsided, along with my knee issues, and tore my ACL.

I have a physical job and I'm pretty active otherwise, but I'm nowhere near as active as a legionary or your average Grecian athlete might be, what with constant physical work and training. How the fuck did these people not blow out their joints with all the stress they put on them? Was it merely an adaptability thing? I know their diets were, in general, shittier than ours, did they just bite the bullet and train through all the problems?
>>
>>1232557
that statue looks like he has gyno
>>
>>1232557
>did they just bite the bullet and train through all the problems?
No, they died.
Your genes are weak.
>>
>>1232557

Addendum: I know it could just in fact be my shitty genes causing all my problems, but I still think the question is worth asking

also

>>1232564

tendon problems aren't really fatal, I doubt a legionary in training would die of shock if he had a sudden attack of patellar tendinitis. Maybe booted from the army if he couldn't run.
>>
>>1232557
What makes you think they didn't blow out their joints?

Same as always, a combination of luck and intelligent training will see you through, and if not, you're fucked. Another legionare/athlete will take your place.

In b4 someone projects their own inadequacies to create ancient superhumans.
>>
>>1232569
>booted from the army

>join the legion for 25 years
>be on a 50 mile march in Gaul
>pull a hamstring
>lol just walk home kid, it's ok

lol fuck no
the ancient world was brutal
if you couldn't keep up, you fucking died
>>
>>1232584

Pulling a muscle isn't really a serious injury. Muscles heal in a week or so, tendons take months
>>
>>1232557
>I know their diets were, in general, shittier than ours
you know wrong
>>
>>1232589

elaborate instead of just saying "ur wrong lol"
>>
File: 1436666443961.jpg (38 KB, 956x631) Image search: [Google]
1436666443961.jpg
38 KB, 956x631
>>1232591
>>
>>1232592

okay you have a point. Wasn't their diet mostly based on bread and cabbage? I remember Cato or somesuch wrote a bunch of a essays praising cabbage. Cheese here and there and a bit of cured meat and whatever game they could kill?
>>
>>1232588
If they had money then they probably laid down for a few weeks until they healed.
They were humans living their lives just like we do.
>>
>>1232595
>Wasn't their diet mostly based on bread and cabbage?
even if they did get most of their calories from wheat they ate a lot of vegetables, fruits and fish too. their diet might not have been perfect but certainly better than average person today.
>>
>>1232597
Even if they didn't have money.

You think the Roman government would train, feed, and equip a soldier, then lose him over a pulled hamstring so they could shell out all that money all over again to get a new soldier?

And what about his comrades? The dudes he's been living with, fighting with, talking with and been friends with for months are just going to abandon him at the first opportunity?
>>
>>1232605

Good point
>>
>>1232557

People back then got wounded all the time. A lot of people died of injuries. How many people today die from injuries? Not a lot, by comparison.
>>
>>1232612
>tfw I broke my ankle badly while drunk
>Able to walk fine now, just a bit of titanium in me

>Back in the day
>Guaranteed cripple, probably begging on the street.
>>
>>1232557
>I know their diets were, in general, shittier than ours

Sage!
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.