[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which is the philosophy for living the objective best life?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7
File: 1464825804456.png (134 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1464825804456.png
134 KB, 600x600
Which is the philosophy for living the objective best life?
>>
>>1229625
>objective
>best
Pick one anon.
>>
>>1229625
>objectivity
I want /lit/ posters to leave and take their shit charts with them
>>
Hedonism because of how our brains work.
>>
The one I subscribe to, duh. Obviously anything else is objectively terrible.
>>
>>1229625
Depends on how my day is going.
>>
>>1229644
>>
>>1229640

Have you heard of hedonic adaptation?

Hedonism DOESN'T work because of how our brain works. If you just let your brain do its shit and constantly give in to your hedonistic impulse, you'll spend more of your life wanting new pleasures and less of it actually enjoying the pleasures you've acquired.

I vote stoicism. A philosophy that idealizes wanting what you have instead of having what you want.
>>
>>1229625
You know, looking at that picture is kind of disconcerting because some of those isms' actually share space with another. It's like the modern man insists on thinking like a robot. But at the same time I understand that research can be tiresome. Ecclesiastes 12:12 And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

>>1229640
That leads to the most suffering though..
>>
>>1229632
/lit/ made this? I always knew they were retards but this is a whole another level
>>
>>1229640
So smoke weed till we die in couple of days?
>>
>>1229685
>It's like the modern man insists on thinking like a robot

I meant this because of people being so inclined to over categorize. You look at computers they have to know every little detail before it can execute a command efficiently because of how primitive they truly are despite the science involved, but when you see people attempt to do this....its insane.

How could anyone ever expect to find the truth when you begin to run out of space for all these things you try to compartmentalize and give titles to? It's like hording information in the most insufficient way possible.
>>
>>1229717
no inject heroin straight into your eye balls
>>
>>1229775
>truth

We compartmentalize because of the truth found within systems that are relative, supportive, and noncontradictory. These are where the closest shorthand to lmao "truth" lies.

Why don't you just go scoop somma dat truth out thu river bix noods who needs computers
>>
What if I try to follow almost all of these? What am I?
>>
>>1229809
A normie?
>>
>>1229625
King Solomon. Wisest man in the world. Hundred of wives. Hundreds of concubines. Built the Temple. Built anything he wanted to build. Bought anything he wanted to buy. Slept with anyone he wanted to sleep with. Richer than Croesus.

And what did he say about all of that?

It's all vanity and vexation of spirit.

And the only worthwhile pursuit?

To do the will of God.
>>
>>1229796
There is no contradiction in truth though. And you can't assume anything if you don't know. But I get it, to examine everything while attempting to remain objective is a tall task. I'm definitely not efficient in that task. It's just one thing I've learned if I've learned anything is that putting to many plates on the table in an attempt to remember every specific detail is an exercise in futility.
>>
>>1229848
Truth will always be warped, look into system justificating believes and cognitive biases and so on and so on. Pure ideology.
>>
>>1229829
how do you truly know what the will of God is? Outside of reading the bible.
>>
>>1229867
Holy spirit and sheeet.
>>
>>1229857
>Truth will always be warped

Only if you don't recognize it. One thing that keeps my curiosity at bay though, or keeps me from hording and becoming overwhelmed with options, is knowing.....or, in a state of humility which can be a difficult state to sustain given the sensations that pride can give you, but what keeps me from generally over categorizing is recognizing that there is plenty that I don't know and more importantly I may never know, especially when it comes to truth. That doesn't mean truth is warped, it just means it has aspects that are beyond our reach.

It's so easy to take what you currently understand as truth though and in vain, argue on its behalf. Men have been doing this for ever in a vain attempt to put the entirety of it in their pocket. When I don't think, given our nature that we have access to the entirety that is truth.
>>
>>1229867
By inspiration of the indwelling Holy Spirit of God.

Indeed>>1229875
>>
>t
>r
>uth
>>
>>1229875
i believe
>>
>>1229625
Holy shit. I've never seen so much dumbing down in one picture. Some of the things said are outright incorrect definations but made to fit into the general theme like logical postivism.

>by a woman
that explains it
>>
Epictetus style Stoicism.
>>
>>1229888
Mate if you want to erroneously believe you are a special snowflake that devies psychological and physical reality go ahead.
But may I ask in all sincerity what makes you think so? I'm not pulling this shit out of my arse when I say that truth is warped. I base it on psychology and sociology.
I'm currently reading a book called "Social and Psychological Bases of Ideology and System Justification" to update my knowledge on the subject.
>>
>>1229953
Literally neither of you have even begun to state, in this scenario, what you think truth means.

It's a broad fucking word and the both of you sound like pseuds for being so direct in your assertions about it.
>>
>>1229867
You have to take a leap
>>
>>1229953
>I base it on psychology and sociology.

They pull it out of their asses though.
>>
>>1229959
I'm all open to discussion but I don't see how you contribute to that. I use it in the broad sense since it wasn't specified.
Ask me a better question if you want a discussion instead of calling me a pseud mate.
>>
>>1229975
Funny. There's a lot to be said about the shortcomings of both sociology and psychology, but what you said was retarded.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (75 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
75 KB, 1920x1080
Its obviously objectivism. How has no one said this yet?
>>
File: 1AzRCcO.jpg (31 KB, 480x400) Image search: [Google]
1AzRCcO.jpg
31 KB, 480x400
damn these are some JUICY ASS SPOOKS
>>
>>1229953
>>1229959
I'm confident in what I recognize as truth, but at the same time I really didn't mean to offend anyone.

As for truth itself, I mean I recognize it from above. The fact there is no contradiction within it and the fact I can't grasp it entirely. When I read something like "the truth will set you free", from that alone I understand it's implied perimeter in relation to...well, to everything. We're talking about something that can't be denied or called a lie. That to me sets the foundation of understanding 'truth'. Instead of hording any more knowledge or information at this point, I stop right there and can confidently say I understand the foundation of truth. That which isn't a contradiction or a lie. From an engineering perspective, I can see truth as a always connecting and for a lack of better words, a perfectly paved path that can maximize every aspect of intention.

Now just because I still have many more questions doesn't make me feel inclined to think it's warped.

Maybe that's where we're getting caught up, on our definitions of warped. When I think of that word in relation to truth, I see it as a problem with truth, when I don't see a problem with truth.
>>
>>1230048
Alright, so you have this personal philosophy going on? Good for you.
>>
>>1229976
My point was that it did not look like a discussion, but more two people arguing against their own set of personal terms to describe what may not even be the same thing. I have no investment otherwise, it's only that it happens far too often here. And if you want to argue seriously with another person who is anonymous, it might help to set down some basic, common terminology. Because neither can be assured that the other is well read in the necessary terminology in the first place.
>>
File: shouting guy.jpg (9 KB, 350x268) Image search: [Google]
shouting guy.jpg
9 KB, 350x268
Everyone is a hedonist. Everyone does whatever they do for their own satisfaction.
>>
>>1230093
I see anon, my bad.
>>
>>1229983
When you use something someone else pulled out of his ass, but claim you did not pull it out of your ass, the fact remains that the thing came out of someone's ass.
>>
>>1230111
You are thinking of Freud which pullled everthing he said out of his arse. Modern psychologists use the scientific method even though some seem to misuse statistics.
>>
>>1230095

It's overly reductionist to try and boil it down to this.
>>
>>1230123
Yes, numbers are also pulled out of people's asses. 67.25% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
>>
>>1230091

As opposing to having ____'s philosophy....?

By the way I wouldn't be arrogant enough to claim a philosophy of my own either. But even more so, I wouldn't adopt just anyone's philosophy either.

Also this isn't even philosophy, its a discussion about the definition of truth. But are you implying there can even be an alternate definition of truth? A truth that makes another truth a lie? Redundancy really isn't as appealing as you might think it is. Kinda nauseating imo.
>>
>>1229625
>bring the most good to humans
>pragmatism
>>
>>1229829
That's easy to say for someone who has fulfilled every desire and seen their ultimate emptiness, but can someone who hasn't arrived at that place make that kind of statement? Do they have to pursue their desires, fulfill them, and realize their ultimate inability to satisfy before they can really embrace that kind of thinking?

Yes, you could say "other people have gone before me, and obviously their pursuits were ultimately unsatisfying. I want some of those things, too, but I suppose they will be unsatisfying for me as well, so I won't pursue them" but you might be stuck with doubt forever, subtly jealous of people who have obtained things you used to want.

I think it might be necessary for a person to pursue his or her desires and find ultimate dissatisfaction with achievement before being able to truly relocate their focus to the spiritual.
>>
>>1230137
I think the anon was right:
>two people arguing against their own set of personal terms to describe what may not even be the same thing.
I seem to come from a different planet as you. As I have a difficulty to understand what you are trying to state.
>>
>>1229625
That is like the worst infographic i've seen in my life and that's saying quite a bit.
>>
>>1229692
It's reddit I think. I got linked by a friend.
>>
>>1230167
I "haven't arrived" at any such place, and thanks to Solomon, I know better than to strive for "vanity and vexation of spirit".

Satisfaction in everything Solomon pursued, from food to wine to drugs to worship to pagan worship to women to buildings to treaties to war to every single thing he did was not to be found anywhere.

But I can follow God, and love His Law.
>>
>>1229625
I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.
>>
>>1230238
You're practically a chick.
>>
>>1230179
All I was saying is that truth only goes one way and if you come across an alleged truth that can be brought into contradiction or proven wrong and therefore it becomes a lie, then by definition alone it was never true to begin with.
>>
>>1229625

Out of those, Confucianism is the only one that isn't autistic.
>>
File: 1443677266551.gif (500 KB, 500x200) Image search: [Google]
1443677266551.gif
500 KB, 500x200
>>1230238
>>
>>1230252
Ah see now I understand, thanks. When I say truth it is much more broad.
>>
>>1230252

Why are you assuming that a contradiction can't be true?
>>
>>1230279
That I agree with, but I understand the perimeters and qualifications of truth. I still have questions that I just know will never get answered until I meet the creator Himself.
>>
File: fedora-normal-autism-82877966.jpg (27 KB, 439x439) Image search: [Google]
fedora-normal-autism-82877966.jpg
27 KB, 439x439
>>1230301

>I understand the perimeters and qualifications of truth
>>
>>1229625

almost all of these are horribly inaccurate..
>>
>>1230283
Dude...a contradiction is exactly that, a contradiction. A contradiction, that proves an alleged truth to be a lie, is a contrast to assist in discerning what is true.

Basically, I never said a contradiction can't be true. Since it's the very thing that can expose an alleged truth, to be a lie.
>>
>>1230306
Well, a truth can't be a lie now can it. That alone is a foundation. Why is this so hard to understand?
>>
>>1230314
>A contradiction, that proves an alleged truth to be a lie

No. You haven't studied modern logic.
>>
>>1230415
>No. You haven't studied modern logic

Yeah.....that's not an annoyingly vague statement. But by all means, correct me. What is it this time?
>>
>>1230491

It's not a vague statement at all. Have you studied modern logic at a university or have you not?
>>
>>1230551
Educate me. You got my attention.
>>
>>1230555

Look up paraconsistent logic/dialethism.
>>
>>1230561
Let's pretend I don't have the time. It's time to let that education shine bro.
>>
>>1229809
A meme
>>
>>1230561
C'mon man...all I got is wikipedia over here. Just get to it bro. How is a contradiction in relation to truth, anything other than proof that said truth wasn't true at all? What am I not seeing?
>>
>>1230668

"This sentence is not true."

>>1230578

Contrary to your expectations, I'm not here to put on a performance for you. There's a gap in your education, deal with it.
>>
>>1230770
Well, that was anti-climatic...but yeah, thanks for contributing, lol I guess..
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.