[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was moral decay the downfall of the Roman Empire? I'm trying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_5497.png (997 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5497.png
997 KB, 640x1136
Was moral decay the downfall of the Roman Empire? I'm trying to write a paper that will reference this topic but I'm having a hard time getting past pay-walls to well-researched papers. If /his/ can help me with just a few sources, that would be great. Thanks
>>
>>1218832
Library. Visit it.
>>
No.
>>
A. Acceptance of Christianity.
B. Reliance on foreign mercenary armies
C. Unwieldy size. When Rome was just Romans, it was fiercely nationalist expansionist and virile. As its borders expanded Romans within the perimeter got soft and impotent.
>>
>>1218832
Short answer no.
Slightly longer answer this >>1218876

The rest of the thread can now devolve into the usual shitposting this exact same question triggers every single day.
>>
>>1218876
All of these lengthened the condition of the Empire though. If they stayed the same way they had since Caesar's day the Empire would've fallen far sooner. I agree about the size though, they overextended way too much while allowing the core of their citizen ship to opt out of military duty. You can't really be a fiercely aggressive military power and have a large population of sedative citizenry.
>>
File: Chart (51).png (65 KB, 1095x1498) Image search: [Google]
Chart (51).png
65 KB, 1095x1498
> Was moral decay the downfall of the Roman Empire?
Yes, it was one of many reasons. It is a miracle that empire survived while so many factors were stacked against it.
>>
>>1218993
Christian Emperor Constantin wreaked the empire by his military "reforms" buy withdrawing troops from the borders
>>
File: 5437156_orig.jpg (51 KB, 925x377) Image search: [Google]
5437156_orig.jpg
51 KB, 925x377
>>1218832
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plague_of_Cyprian

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonine_Plague

Both of these plagues killed a lot of people in the Roman empire and more importantly traveled along the main trade routes. The most important cities and regions had the lions share of the deaths.The city of Rome was gutted along with many of the larger Italian cities. The hinterlands of the empire were lightly effected in contrast. This gravely changed the balance of power inside the Roman Empire. It did not cause the Crisis of the Third Century, but it made it much worst. The lands that made up the Gallic Empire could not of even tried to break away before that .

>>1219005
Emperor Constantine weakened the Roman Empire sure by changing the military. However the greatest threats to the Empire were internal at the time. By forcing the border provinces to have to call for Imperial aid if threatened it puts them in line. Roman history had by that time very clearly shown that formations stationed for a long time in the same area would come under the influence of the local powers that be.

I think that the best way to put it was that Constantine choose the best of a number of poor options at the time.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.