[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /his/ think of Adam Curtis?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1448379072481.jpg (10 KB, 220x236) Image search: [Google]
1448379072481.jpg
10 KB, 220x236
What does /his/ think of Adam Curtis?
>>
Really enjoy his documentaries. I don't know that he's necessarily "right", but he presents interesting points
>>
Brilliant. He's a bit like John Gray, but for documentaries
>>
I enjoy his stuff a lot and a lot of the criticism he gets is from idiots who think there's something magical about video that makes it unethical to express an opinion using it. Essayists are allowed to have opinions, seemingly, but documentarians are violating some kind of sacred trust.
>>
>>1215682

Who is he?
>>
I think he's a very talented film maker actually, this is often an underrated aspect of documentary film in my experience, but I think he's a very talented collageist and editor, makes very compelling and often quite beautiful sequences with his raw materials.
>>
>>1215849
Documentarian. Has unfettered access to BBC archives so always digs up a lot of rare/interesting footage. For the most part, your only option for seeing his work is youtube and torrents, because he tends to use so much owned footage (and licensed music) that DVD releases of his work are kind of economically unviable.

Good intros are The Power of Nightmares, The Trap and The Century of The Self. If you like those, I particularly recommend The Mayfair Set, Pandora's Box and The Living Dead.

His later stuff is also good, but somewhat up-its-arsey and imo not a good intro. I think he's somewhat more concerned with formal expression now, like >>1215850 says he always had a gift for it, but now it's almost like he's trying to be an artist or something.
>>
>>1215682
love his work, it's great stuff to zone out to and the narrators are pretty good. His Use of archive footage is excellent because it allows one to put oneself back into the context of a particular time. I particularly like how he uses out-takes or B-rolls from old films and television in order to show more genuine behaviors.

I like "Pandora's Box" "The Living Dead", and "Inquiry: the British Housing Disaster". along with "Century of the Self" and "The Trap".

his latest work was a few years ago now, "Bitter Lake".

His themes are mostly about the chaos resulting from power struggles, idealistic visions corrupted by unintentional consequences, or reality re-asserting itself.
>>
learned a surprising amount of how shitty the 1970's actually were for the US and UK, Wow they were shitty times... as an amerifat "millennial" I never knew before watching.
>>
Part of what I love about him is his delivery. I'm pretty sure it's in Century of the Self, the dry, undersold delivery on

>they had become radical lesbian nuns

kills me every time.
>>
Curtis is great because he explores not only what ideas are, but where they came from. Everyone should watch the first episode of Century of the Self
>>
>>1217147

Which documentary?
>>
>>1217276
Not him, but I'd imagine it was The Trap or Century of the Self.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.