[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /his/ think about lindybeige?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 18
File: lindy.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
lindy.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
What does /his/ think about lindybeige?
>>
>this is what I think is best when using a foam sword while larping therefore this is how medieval mercenaries did it
>also fuck America and the French, GOD SAVE THE QUEEN
>>
>>1213627
I liked his review of the Iliad.

That's the only video of his I ever really watched.
>>
He's a pretty good source for historical info. He makes use of trust worthy sources and is unbiased in what he says.
>>
He's wrong about swords never doing a schwing sound when drawn from a scabbard (scabbards with a metal throat do and they did exist), also he slightly underestimates dual wielding.
>>
>>1213666
dual wielding really is garbage for formation battles though
the only time dual wielding is really effective is dualing, and only if at least one of the weapons is short enough not to get knocked by the other
>>
Generally correct in broad strokes, goes full retard every time he tries to concoct theories of his own, very entertaining and charismatic, panders to the "nerd" side of his fandom a bit too much.
>>
>>1213666
He did mention brass scabbards I'm pretty sure
>>
>>1213627
He's a lot like British Internet Personalities, quite interesting and entertaining online, but you wouldn't like to be their friends IRL, they look like sour people.
>>
>>1213627
I think we have this thread too often, and I think peoples perspective on him is laughably uneducated.
He's a great entertainer, he has good ideas, but he's not there to be a teacher all the time, sometimes he's just proposing new ideas.
>>1214050
could you mention a few examples of going full retard?
>>1213641
he doesn't larp.
>>
>>1214050
>panders to the "nerd" side of his fandom a bit too much
And even then it's clear he doesn't understand RPGs. To put it in /tg/ games, he would be "That Guy" at the table.

Remember that video where he claimed it's silly for characters to carry around 10 swords with specialized advantages? And decided that instead it's better to have the party be incapable of defeating a giant turtle until the army comes along to flip it on its back and stab it to death? That's how you run a SHIT campaign. You take characters who are literally only in it to be heroes, and make them feel incompetent and, worse than that, unneccessary. If the military can handle giant turtles themselves, what the fuck are the adventurers even doing? What in-character reason do they have not to retire then and there? They're clearly not needed.
>>
>>1214096
>he doesn't do European Extreme Campaign modes

pleb
>>
>>1214096
>he can't play a campaign without resorting to his mary sue OP half-angel half-demon z-cup oppai loli char he made on CoC
>>
>>1214136
I hope you're joking. You know that in D&D, even a level 1 character is at least above average, right? An average character would be a commoner or expert with straight 10s across the board.
>>
>>1214040
>the only time dual wielding is really effective is dualing, and only if at least one of the weapons is short enough not to get knocked by the other

I think the main advantage of having the other weapon shorter is that then you can have the best of both world's - long reach of the longer weapon and the ease of use at close range with the shorter weapon. Especially as a self-defense pair of weapons it's better to have also a shorter blade that you can draw quickly or defend yourself in small space.

Intuitively I doubt that in a duel having two relatively long swords would be so problematic however. IMHO you'd have to be pretty clumsy to get them "tangled" or knocked at the same time. If they were good cutting swords fighting at close range wouldn't be that problematic either.
>>
>>1214138
>"above average"
>can carry 50 spears and infinite gold "because it wouldn't be fun if I had to try"
>>
>>1214138
Another reason to dislike DnD
>>
>>1214142
>Intuitively I doubt that in a duel having two relatively long swords would be so problematic however. IMHO you'd have to be pretty clumsy to get them "tangled" or knocked at the same time. If they were good cutting swords fighting at close range wouldn't be that problematic either.

Also with two swords of approximately the same length feinting would be easier.
>>
>>1214147
>can carry 50 spears and infinite gold "because it wouldn't be fun if I had to try"
You know that a bag with literally infinate storage place that can retrieve the exact object you desire as a move action is a relatively inexpensive low level object, right?

When you play in a world of high magic and fantasy, it's stupid to assume the enemy has access to retarded fantasy/magic shit (like giant turtles that are somehow unaffected by the square cube law) but restrict the players to what's "normal". Unless they're wizards, but then you end up with a party entirely made of casters.

>>1214148
I'm not going to contest that, but I think Lindy did specify it was a D&D game. Therefore my objections are still valid.
>>
>>1214166
He did also specify that he disliked D&D. There's nothing wrong with criticizing a flaw even if the system supports it.
>>
>>1214178
There's nothing wrong with criticizing the system. There's everything wrong with running a game specifically to make the players feel worthless, incompetent and like they have no impact on the world. I wouldn't blame any players who walked out on the game then and there.

I'm not saying the players should be guaranteed to win, or even neccessarily survive, every single encounter, but Lindy went out of his way to depict the players as incompetent and propose a solution a party of 3-6 adventurers simply cannot copy. He chose to run a D&D campaign, even if he dislikes the system he shouldn't be actively spoiling the fun of others.
>>
>>1214096
>the army
>implying standing army
>history buff
>>
>>1214096
That's not what he said though, his only complaint was that they took no specialized approach to a monster that obviously wouldn't give a shit if a sword was burrowed into it.
Also IIRC the soldiers were from an evil empire.
I think his complaints are valid, but if these kinds of things aren't pre-established, it's certainly dickish as well.
We have no reason to believe Lloyds friends aren't familiar or even appreciative of his antics.
>>
>>1214210
>his only complaint was that they took no specialized approach to a monster that obviously wouldn't give a shit if a sword was burrowed into it
>obviously wouldn't give a shit
Not that obvious in D&D, where AC scores exist. There's an objectively established point where you hit so hard, you pass through his defenses.

>We have no reason to believe Lloyds friends aren't familiar or even appreciative of his antics.
Yeah, that would change things for that specific group. Still, I wouldn't play with him.
>>
>>1213627
He is good at demonstrating real tangible things like swords and ancient history, but he doesn't understand modern combat, philosophy or indeed that England is in fact part of europe.
>>
>>1214232
>spotted the antibrexit
>>
>>1214240
i don't care about england, i just can't stand people dumb enough to think islands aren't part of the continent. England isn't its own little world apart from the rest of europe, it's just an island.
>>
He's like a tolerable version of Skallagrim.
>>
>>1214247
And a mediocre version of Matt Easton.
>>
>>1214573
Matt Easton knows more about swords and non-firearm weapons more I'd say, but Lindybeige is more charismatic and entertaining.
>>
>>1213627
i love him he posts good content
>>
File: 1448135048135.jpg (1 MB, 2929x1913) Image search: [Google]
1448135048135.jpg
1 MB, 2929x1913
Lindybeige is a man who has finely tuned his senses to love the smell of his own shitty ideas so much that he instantly puts them on the internet, with little to no filter. He also is extremely smug and attempts to bait people constantly at other events, very sure of the fact that he could not possibly be wrong.

In short, these are the exact reasons why /his/ defends him and likes him, because this is exactly what this board does.

the bad
>greeks made linothorax out of leather because I made one out of it and it seemed comfy at a dinner party I wore it to
>(insert larping/reenactment clip or quote) this is the reason people fought like this
>this thing I don't like never existed or was never utilized
>"soldiers" in the classical era went to battle with a guy at the back carrying a shitload of water bottles

the good
>lindybeige just shows you something he made
>why torches in movies are retarded
>cloaks are comfy
>>
>>1214626
>blatant lies
Why don't you stay honest? I'm sure you don't feel like this without having a point, but blatantly altering what he's said isn't a great way to go about it.
>>
>>1214626
Well water carriers are attested in some medieval sources.

Oh and he made a copy of a hollywood torch, what was the bastard expecting? Up next: why bullet blanks are not actually as lethal as in the movies... Fucking genius.
>>
>>1214648
>Oh and he made a copy of a hollywood torch, what was the bastard expecting? Up next: why bullet blanks are not actually as lethal as in the movies... Fucking genius.
Because he was specifically addressing a movie misconception? He even talked about how that's not what they'd use.
>>
>>1214653
Yes but now we have an entire legion of people shouting medieval people didn't use torches.
>>
>>1214084
Pretty sure he does LARP and he even mentioned it sometimes. His video about cloaks where he explains a larping anecdote comes to my mind.
>>
>>1214663
How is that his fault? also who says that?
>>1214665
I think it was reenactment?
>>
Sent him a facebook message once, he is friendly but a bit autistic.
>>
File: 0.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>1213627
When I want to listen about archeology and his dissection of historical sets, however for weapons Matt Easton is the authority.
>>
>>1214686
most people are friendly, you don't have to be so wary, qt3.14
>>
>>1214663
He's not to blame for his viewers being retarded, at least not this time.
>>
>>1214669
Reenactment is basically a kind of LARP, man. I can understand why reenactors don' t want to be associated with fatties dressed as elves, but they're different categories of the same activity at the end of the day.
>>
>>1214721
There's literally no problem with partially basing your understanding of an instrument on real life testing on how it functions.
>>
>>1214728
I never said there was.
>>
>>1214728
>real
>life
>testing

>Hey guys, let's have a battle, and in order to make it realistic if you get touched by this thing you have to not use whatever limb I touched or you instantly die if I touch your torso or head

>also walking around at a below brisk fashion is a 100% accurate simulation on the wearing of arms and armor

this and the morbid obesity is why I hate reenactors
>>
>>1213627
You people are being too savage
He's a good guy, and yes, many of his videos are speculation and rationalizing in his own way, but he's still fun to watch
>>
>>1214096
in my opinion lindybeige is far better with fantasy and RPGs than with history. He's not perfect or anything, but he throws around some cool ideas. Making you think about how to beat a creature in an unsual way is a good thing.
>>
>>1213627
He doesn't know shit about linguistics and, if his other stuff is anything like that, everything he says should be disregarded.
>>
>>1214626
This
but his videos are still fun, you just need to not take them seriously
I like the nit-picky movie reviews the most

and fuck those vids when he talks about politics or british superiority
>>
>>1214806
>>Hey guys, let's have a battle, and in order to make it realistic if you get touched by this thing you have to not use whatever limb I touched or you instantly die if I touch your torso or head
>>also walking around at a below brisk fashion is a 100% accurate simulation on the wearing of arms and armor
Except that's not at all what they're testing though. Obviously, real combat situations can't be done with reenactment, and lindy has never implied that.
>>
His video on the Bren vs MG34/42 was sort of silly, he brought up some valid points but others were completely retarded
>if the bren wasn't superior to the mg why did the British gain ground every day since D-Day
>what is overwhelming numerical and air superiority
>what is collapsing German infrastructure and industry
>what is the soviet union
>>
>>1213627
cant stand this idiot. awful personality and hes wrong more often than hes right
>>1214687
this guy is great and there are a couple others worth watching
>>
>>1216920
I really liked his newest video about salt until Captain Autism bursted in.

While Lloyd is an interesting guy his humor is honestly pretty awful. Stoke Mandeville being one of the worst things I've ever seen.
>>
I generally agree with his views on historical things, but the guy is an absolute classist buffoon.
>>
>>1217378
>classist
The best way to be desu
>>
>>1216972
Not to mention the fact that the bren gun still being used doesn't mean it's stellar impervious albionium 100 folded steel. The Madsen LMG from 1903 is still being used for crying out loud. He forgot the MG3 is a thing, too.
>>
>>1216972

I'm pretty sure the germans got right trounced by briish know-how m8
>>
>>1217395
tbqh m8 as a monarchist I'd rather have some shitberry picker be in charge if he's actually competent than some inbred dingleberry. Social mobility is good, ok
>>
>>1214728
Lindy please go.
>>
>>1217378
>but the guy is an absolute classist buffoon.
He is a step away from being satire of England.
>>
File: image.jpg (309 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
309 KB, 1920x1080
What does /his/ think of this guy
>>
>>1217484
Norwegian autist with a dollop of green shit on his head married to a hobgoblin
>>
>Medieval Europe was basically just England and maybe some French colonies ok? If something didn't exist in Medieval England then it simply didn't exist. :^))))
>My understanding of linguistics comes from 2 wikipedia articles and staring at my ceiling for a week, now listen to my hot opinions. No I didn't read any peer-reviewed papers, my self-absorbed Britishness clearly shows to me that English is the most functional language
>Chinese is bad because it doesn't account for pronounciation, even though it wasn't designed for it, but British who's whole shtick should be about writing what you're hearing, but fails at this because of stupid conventions is good precisely because of that
>Roman patricians only spoke Greek, m'kay?
>Medieval forests were basically just big parks, right?
>my experience with foam swords allows me to judge how war was waged in ancient Greece?
>What artistic license? What's that? If a movie isn't artistically accurate it's GARBAGE and TRASH
>>
>>1217494
Tbqh Hangul is way more practical as a writing form than most other languages, I hate how snobby this guy is.
>>
>>1217492
Post wife
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (150 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
150 KB, 1280x720
>>1217509
Fair enough, marry the people you love, but she just comes across as autistic as he is.
>>
>>1217515
I bet the people who set them up are very proud of themselves.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1 MB, 801x704) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1 MB, 801x704
>>1217515
>That facial hair
>>
>>1213627
Overestimates his grasp of "logic" and "reason". But overall very entertaining.
Also I'm not a fan of his "evolutionary psychology".
>>
>>1217515
d'aww, a cute couple.
>>
>>1217494
Yeah, if the guy would be just a tad humbler I'd love him to bits.
>>1217378
same desu
>>
>>1217170
I liked that "funky funghi" joke of his in the forest video.
>>
File: pike formation1.png (45 KB, 1800x600) Image search: [Google]
pike formation1.png
45 KB, 1800x600
>>1214686
I sent him an fb message asking for his opinions on this formation I thought up. He did reply and gave his insights, but was a bit dry. I assume it comes down to Britishness.
>>
>>1214138
If you're playing shitty D&D. OD&D or bust. Also that reminds me that lindybeige has shit opinions on the early versions of D&D
>>
>>1214232
>>1214240
the problem with that pro-brexit video is not that he is pro-brexit, but rather that he is blind. I'm no fan of the EU myself, but he's awful at putting things in perspective.
>>
>>1217600
totalwarformation.jpg
>>
>>1217695
As in "this was made by a dumb TW player" or as in "this is the sort of formation that works in TW"? I barely even played TW, but I guess it may have influenced me.
>>
>>1217170
who do you mean by captain autism
>>
>>1217788
It's actually one of things people do a lot of in total war. Spear inf bent inward, some pikeman to take the brunt of the attack, swordsman to fill gaps, archers right behind them with skirm turned off, and cannons close by if TW2.
>>
>>1217515

I recall in one of his videos he mentioned they met because they both had paganism and swords in their interests tab
>>
>>1217600
Post his reply.
>>
>>1217515
Dyed hair, beware!
>>
Fuck katana plunkers
>>
>>1217515
>neo-pagans
>>
>>1214096
I've only played one game of DnD and i got bored af because it went so slow.
Everytime lindy makes a video about these games he seems to want speed them up.
>>
>>1217892
skalgrim
>>
File: this shit again.gif (1019 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
this shit again.gif
1019 KB, 500x373
>follow up to his bren-masterrace video
>everybody that disagrees with him are just dumb fanboys
>>
>>1219736
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgfBL1hz_zw
Why does this nigger keep calling the MG34/42 a "Spandau"?
>>
>>1219744
Maybe if you had watched part 1 you'd know
>>
>>1217494

He has a degree in archeology senpai. This meme that he is completely unqualified is wrong
>>
>>1219757
yeah I know some books referred to it as such, but the actual name is the MG34/42.
it just annoys me.
>>
>>1219736
>everybody that disagrees with him are just dumb fanboys

The joke here being that he is clearly an everything-british fanboy himself?
>>
>>1219736
I generally think the criticisms of lindy are completely out of context and also often just completely fabricated, but his bias towards Britain makes for his worst videos by far.
>>
>>1219759
>He has a degree
Having a degree in something does not automatically make your opinions correct anon.
I know this firsthand. I have a very flashy degree and there's loads of stuff in my chosen field I don't know that much about.
>>
>>1219773
>Having a degree in something does not automatically make your opinions correct anon.
No one said it does, he's responding to someone claiming he has no formal qualifications, when he's been working with historical accuracy in many forms for much of his life.
>>
>>1219777
Look back at the original post, notice how the "no formal qualification" criticism is clearest in regard to his opinions on linguistics.
A degree in archeology does not make you an authority on linguistics.
>>
>>1219789
well, that's where your previous point comes in anon, having formal qualifications doesn't mean much.
>>
>>1219789
Let's be honest, it's less that he has no formal qualifications in linguistics and more that it's clear he never took a single class or read a basic intro textbook to it.
>>
File: spedepasanen.jpg (32 KB, 600x683) Image search: [Google]
spedepasanen.jpg
32 KB, 600x683
>>1219764
>>
Reposting my opinion from another thread:
The first video I found of him, was not through his videos on history (I am actually here because of the shitty philosophy discussions); I found him by having a similar mindset as him on global warming. The pretentious nature of him spoke to my younger self but now I have outgrown his fad.

A written criticism of him has been long overdue:
First of all, the only thing I have ever heard of him having studied at any academic level is maybe architecture or evolutionary psychology. In his "About me", he cites his A levels rather than a Bachelor's degree or akin, so it is fair to assume he is at most an undergrad; which explains a lot.
He still claims to argue from an evolutionary psychologist standpoint; basically a revamped version of sociobiology; which tries to explain psychological behaviours with a evolutionary meta-theoretical framework.
This doesn't merely explain a lot of his points, but a lot of his misjudgements. In his intellectual ontology, contingencies don't exist, neither does any kind of epistemology, ideology, sociology, anthropology, cosmology etc.
>Genetic determinism or inherited privilege - you may choose only one
No.
He uses a lot of these ideas to affirm his position in the power structure he was born into. Another example of such denial is how he totally disregards that women de jure was discriminated against to claim they had social power within family structures (which is a point already raised by feminist sociologists and anthropologists):
>Woman-power in the past
Notice that when he defines "big stuff", he would do so still from what would be seen as a masculine role.
He totally disregards women being perceived as objects of trade and rather focuses on men being expandable:
>Sex power - why women were different and men were expendable

It is very important to realise that this point isn't relevant to most people, since most people don't go to war.
Cont.
>>
>>1219820
Yes, women were regarded in higher respects due to their limited ability of fertility; but men has often been perceived as more valuable due to their productive ability (also noted by a lot of anthropologists): to the extent that a lot of cultures creates a "middle sex" where women can act as men (without ever having children) just to increase production in dire circumstances. Exactly these circumstances have been more influential than any war.

He is also providing more proof of his confirmation bias whenever he speaks of how English or the British politics system is great.

On politics:
He claims that not taking a side with a specific party is the better position because of individual politics being better in certain scenarios. This shows that he totally disregards an overarching system of ideas/ideology and tries to be totally pragmatic; he literally tries to not have an ideology (which I think is inherently flawed since it lacks a strong criticism of society).
Almost anything he says is affirming an inactive stance to social change; he seems very nostalgic about outdated social roles.

Cont.

On philosophy:
He doesn't say a lot on philosophy, but when he does, it is totally irrelevant.

>My brain is what controls my behaviour. It is, like all matter, composed entirely of chemicals. It is extraordinarily complicated, with many many working parts, all interconnected in a fiendish and as-yet unfathomed pattern. No matter how complicated a thing is, however, it remains true that at any given instant in time, it is in a particular state. The chemicals are joined in particular combinations, and energy and matter are moving around in particular directions.

Cont.
>>
>>1219821
Taken from his site.

He is basically arguing that the brain is purely made up out of chemicals, without arguing with any opposing view of this, and rather just assumes it as a fact.
Therefore I will elaborate on the contemporary field:
If there are universal laws, and if indeterminism is true, it still seems to lead to there not being free will.
A lot of people who believe in free will, argues for determinism, since they think that the actions MUST follow from our personality or akin.
It has nothing to do with determinism and indeterminism, it has something to do with universal laws contra dispositions within secondary properties/ontologies.
The Newtonian revolution overthrew the medieval philosophy of dispositions and rather focused it in laws of nature rather than contingent agencies.
A lot of people today argue for dispositions rather than universal laws of nature.

Yet he solely takes the (probably unbeknownst to him) stance of a post-positivist reductionist, where everything in nature can be explained by materialistic laws, without knowing that there exists other viable viewpoints.

On religion:
>Science/religion rant

Just look at this, it went well until he claimed that religion was a package deal. It is basically stating
>Anyone believing in Christianity must accept the exact same religious dogmas!

I will just leave it here since I believe most people on here could provide a similar criticism and I am honestly tired of expanding on him.

Conclusion:
He is basically an undergrad re-enforcing existing stereotypes without any self-distance. He has almost never altered his position from what would presumably be his socio-economic position and neither his pre-perceived ideas of certain topics.
A demagogue with too much of an ego and too little of an education.
>>
>>1219824
If you want better youtube people in my opinion:
Gregory B. Sadler, carneades.org, StJohnsNottingham, "What is Justice?" or even Philosophytube.
>>
>>1219773

But their pikes are raised just as in his meme video.
>>
File: pikes.jpg (1 MB, 1010x1370) Image search: [Google]
pikes.jpg
1 MB, 1010x1370
>>1219840
In an extended melee people would obviously get close to each other (for example we have plenty of sources that describe sword-and-buckler men crawling forward to shank the enemy in the gut) and lenghty pikes pikes would become harder to use effectively.
But no source speak about pikemen intentionally raising their pikes before engaging the enemy as to avvoid hurting each other.
>>
>>1219827
Anekantavad is pretty good for philosophy
>>
>>1217440
A reasonably educated man with mediocre grasp on anything who thinks he's right about everything.
>>
>>1219870
Oh sorry, didn't mean to quote.
>>
File: beige.png (105 KB, 461x610) Image search: [Google]
beige.png
105 KB, 461x610
>>1218007
tbf I was probably rude myself in not replying once I found myself out-argued.
>>
>>1219824
Heres your (You)
>>
>>1219870
This desu. Fairly knowledgeable, but with much more pomp than his actual level of expertise.
>>
>>1219824
>He is basically arguing that the brain is purely made up out of chemicals, without arguing with any opposing view of this, and rather just assumes it as a fact.
it is LITERALLY a fact.
>>
>>1219815

fuck you lindybeige, no one in the world except for maybe the handful of brits that picked up a rifle in WW2 ever called this gun a spandau
>>
>>1219893
Oh, I'm sorry.
This comment refers to the contemporary view in philosophy which is dominantly property dualism.
I am not saying that the brain is made up off another substance (and this wouldn't be counter-factual to contemporary science, we just have no evidence of such a substance).
But due to problem's like Nagel's bat, Mary's room, Chalmer's philosophical zombies, and other problems of reduction, people assume that sensory experiences (or qualia) isn't reducible to physical state of affairs.
There are some ways to try to explain the new relation without adding causality, like supervenience:
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/supervenience/
>>
I dont find him arrogant really, he just seems incredibly autistic. That response video was retarded to, he seems to have deliberately taken people out of context (although you could put it down to the autism).

Regarding his channel, I think he tries to do too much, and therefore the quality suffers. He should just stick to 1 thing and do more than 3 hours research.
>>
File: winkelreid ist tot.jpg (108 KB, 736x551) Image search: [Google]
winkelreid ist tot.jpg
108 KB, 736x551
>>1219858

indeed
>>
>>1214096
He actually meant that they should've think outside the box of "sword + 2 damage" and set up traps or something to get the turtle.

He probably likes the rule-light RPG's.
>>
>>1216972
To be fair he should've just end it with:
Bren is lighter and far more accurate.
MG34/42 have higher rate of fire but are notoriously inaccurate because of it(especially when on tripod).

The reason for it is that MG34 and 42 replaced both LMG's and HMG's while Bren had Vickers for support. Therefore when it came to sustained covering fire they've had Vickers for it and when it came for short bursts meant to kill somebody they've had Bren.

Therefore saying that Bren was garbage as many people assume is little bit overdone, the MG 34 and 42 simply created their new own class of universal machineguns which caught on in NATO later on because of ammo standardisation making European nations unable to replace their HMG's with new separate weapon(I mean it's not like any user has ever complained about Vickers).
>>
File: PC plans (2).jpg (65 KB, 447x298) Image search: [Google]
PC plans (2).jpg
65 KB, 447x298
>>1219983
>He actually meant that they should've think outside the box of "sword + 2 damage" and set up traps or something to get the turtle.
It all depends on wether or not this was communicated to the players.

If they were just told "monster over there, go deal with it" then it is not strange that they approached it just like another encounter in D&D (go there, fight, get loot & xp). When the monster then turns out to be invulnerable and they are reduced to spectators as the army handles it, then calling him "that guy" becomes understandable.
If he did make it clear to them that hitting it with swords would be ineffective and they still went for that approach then you could probably argue that he's not to blame for how it turned out.
>>
What is this MG34/42 is inaccurate meme? Sure the amount of shit spewing out the barrel is going to throw off your aiming, but that's why you fire in bursts.
>>
>>1219998
>it(especially when on tripod).
bipod sorry
>>
>>1220006
Because controlling 1200 RPM bursts is harder than controlling 600-700 RPM bursts.
>>
>>1220013
True, but didn't German MG gunners leave every 6-7th link empty to control the bursts? Of course, they'd have to recock every 6-7th round to start shooting again.
>>
>>1220013
MG34 had a rpm of 800 and could fire in semi-auto though...
>>
>>1220016
>but didn't German MG gunners leave every 6-7th link empty to control the bursts? Of course, they'd have to recock every 6-7th round to start shooting again.
That sounds really retarded desu.
>>
>>1220036
Makes sense to me, gun's easier to control, conserves ammo on a weapon that burns through rounds like an American through cheeseburgers, but I don't know.
>>
Lindy is my favourite kind of autist.
>>
I think we can all agree that the 50 cal BMG is greater than alle
>>
>>1220107
Considering there are 14,5mm HMG, not really.
>>
File: 2016-05-31-16-53-07-2083099625.jpg (9 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-31-16-53-07-2083099625.jpg
9 KB, 224x225
Guys calm down!

Let's just all hate on this guy instead of each other
>>
>>1220229
And why should we hate this person (besides him being an disgusting white cis male obviously)?
>>
>>1220248
>an disgusting
>an
>>
File: 1463241165202.jpg (74 KB, 285x314) Image search: [Google]
1463241165202.jpg
74 KB, 285x314
>>1220248
>he doesn't know about the green machine
>>
>>1220006
Not to mention that he seems to think that German riflemen never fired their weapons and just carried ammunition.
>>
File: Grammar nazi.jpg (31 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Grammar nazi.jpg
31 KB, 600x450
>>1220261

>>1220276
Nope, pls explain to me anon.
>>
well? what's the green machine? enlighten us
>>
Got good and fucked by military history visualized, the superior channel
>>
>>1214626
>In short, these are the exact reasons why /his/ defends him and likes him, because this is exactly what this board does.
That's fair.
>>
>>1217892
skallagrim had a cameo in that video.
>>
>>1217600
so, you want the charging infantry to go in-between the pikemen, and engage with the spearmen? How are the swordsmen going to help once that gets started?
Also, what if the enemy has cavalry? There isn't a very good defense on the wings, and I can imagine some cav having no problem running up from behind and harrassing your archers/swordsmen while your spears are engaged.
Also, the pikes are a little awkward, as the pikemen now need to be able to defend themselves in close-quarters.
>>
>>1220476
He's only satisfied when the balls are empty
>>
>>1214040
>the only time dual wielding is really effective is dualing
and skirmishing and ambushing and CQC and jungle warfare and looking awesome and stuff like that
>>
>>1220016
wouldn't you have to re cock the gun every 6 rounds?
>>
>>1218821
>neon-pagans
>>
>>1214096

You could run an interesting campaign where the party are mercenaries that have been hired to work as scouts during a military campaign. It lends itself to the questing format of 'go here, find out what's there, report back' with added missions of getting treasures and Intel befit the enemy does, or sneaking into enemy territory.
>>
>>1220900
Yes, they they tried using blanks but that didn't work too well or something
>>
>>1220946
probably wasn't enough power to cycle the action.
>>
>>1219744

Because he read one book on the subject and the guy in it called it that.
>>
>>1219759

>A degree in archaeology
>Qualified for anything other than digging ditches and handing what you find to a different guy wits a PHD in things found in ditches

>>1219777
>working with historical accuracy for much of his life
>an uncredited role as an authenticity advisor, one one film, where they ignored him
>>
>>1213627
Honestly? He's alright so long as you understand that he isn't authoritative on every subject he speaks about.
>>
>>1221290
Problem is that he acts like it
>>
>>1213627
He's alright in Bronze Age stuff. Everything else ranges from middling to awful.
>>
>>1214142
>Intuitively I doubt that in a duel having two relatively long swords would be so problematic however.
in actual 'sword' fighting a longer offhand is purely a plus. the issue is getting rushed and shanked: if you had a shield you could deny an area and get enough time to shank your opponent first, if you had a dagger you'd even have the advantage. if you just have two swords you absolutely have to kill someone while theyre closing in on you, but any armor or shield makes that difficult.
>>
>>1219820
>>1219821
>>1219824
>>1219827
This series of posts here were made by someone as equally or more obnoxious then Lindy Beige.
>>
>>1221704

would you say lindybeige is obnoxious though?

really?

one could say, eccentric, sure, but, obnoxious?

that's a bit strong
>>
>>1221742
I find anyone who makes a butthurt video whining about people calling them out for misinformation 'fanboys" pretty obnoxious.
>>
>>1221747

why not redress your critics?
>>
>>1221742
Alright fine;

>>This series of posts here were made by someone as equally or more annoying then Lindy Beige.

Happy now, fuckface?
>>
>>1221794
I'm not saying "you shouldn't ignore criticism, or address points against your critics", but lindybeige is doing it in a completely unprofessional matter, which I guess is to be expected, since he is a youtube personality.
Just titling your video "Me against the fanboys" is a bit offputting.
>>
>>1221816

I'll concede that, his titling was belittling, and confrontational
>>
>>1219820
>First of all, the only thing I have ever heard of him having studied at any academic level is maybe architecture or evolutionary psychology. In his "About me", he cites his A levels rather than a Bachelor's degree or akin, so it is fair to assume he is at most an undergrad; which explains a lot.

He has an MA in Archeology, you can find his thesis in the Newcastle Uni archive.
>>
If Lindy were American, he'd ride around in a motorized cart, own 50,000 machine guns and carry a giant Bible around with him. He's just a gross caricature of what a British imperialist circa 1890 would've acted like. To people like Lindy, it's still 1890 and the sun will never set on the British Empire.
>>
>>1217378
It really fits his image as a stereotypical Britisher
>>
>>1221704
I am fine with being obnoxious. Especially if someone asks for my opinion on something.
>What is your opinion on this guy?
>Oh God you're so obnoxious, just join the circle jerk!

>>1221870
Thanks! I didn't know and should have researched more. It is weird though that he is always falling back on evolutionary psychology. That is probably my biggest feud. Again, I am not interested in the historical aspects that much, so I am not able to comment on his knowledge on historical stuff.
Also, could you link me to it?
>>
>>1222178

it's odd that such a person would exist in this day and age, in the UK at least
>>
>>1214247
Skallagrim is a cringelord and his mannerisms are the most annoying shit you could ever expect from another human being. His entire content is also him going on about the smoothness of ome fucking blade or dumb "philosophical" ramblings.

Skal is trash and you're an idiot for watching his content.
>>
>>1221870
pls gib link
>>
>>1225414

are young Scandinavian men often somewhat like him?
>>
>>1226523
Speaking as a pseudo-Dane, no.
>>
File: 1463025002572.jpg (14 KB, 250x224) Image search: [Google]
1463025002572.jpg
14 KB, 250x224
>>1217515
delete this
Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.