[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Religious habits without being religious
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1464082603389.jpg (199 KB, 967x721) Image search: [Google]
1464082603389.jpg
199 KB, 967x721
How does /his/ feel about the value of some "religious" habits, if we disregard the religion in itself?

Personally I think there's a lot of value in asceticism and penance. I think self-discipline can have an intrinsic value, or at least lead us to become better more fulfilled individuals who spend out time thinking more about philosophical questions rather than the everyday trivialities. It's a sort of masochistic delight in the end. You do it solely for yourself.
>>
>>1207572
Most of the good ideas int he New Testament are basically borrowed from Stoic philosophy with some butt-hurt thrown in.
>>
>>1207580
Such as?
>>
>>1207580
Please, the NT is Platonic if anything, if one must compare it to that of the World.
>>1207584
Nothing, he just made it up from his sophomoric reading of certain excerpts in order to somehow try and discredit Christianity by invoking the fact that similar thoughts have existed.
>>
>>1207572
meditation is pretty valuable. I suppose certain prayer traditions in Christianity could also have very positive psychological effects.

And we can certainly learn things from text like the bible in the same way we can learn from Greek mythology or Asops fables
>>
>>1207584
Pretty much everything Paul has about restraining oneself' physically and the self-discipline, asceticism, etc you mentioned is Stoic, although Paul infuses it with his own personal rage which makes it cringeworthy to read.

Jesus's more pacifist style speeches such as the Sermon on the mount are their own thing though.

One thing about the bible is it's written by multiple people, even entire books such as the Gospels are written in parts by different authors. As a result you are going to get a picture of different approaches to life based on what the author's own personal taste is.

>>1207597
It's metaphysics is Platonic. In terms of how to conduct yourself Gnosticism is far more Platonic than Christianity, with it's emphasis on knowledge.
>>
>>1207572
There's a lot of right wing philosophy rooted in this concept. "God may/may not be real, but let's continue to practice Christian ethics."

Soren Kierkegaard (1813-1855) is a good place to start.
>>
>>1207620
"right wing "
>Soren Kierkegaard

Stop trying to apply 21st centuary politics to 200+ year old literature. What it means to be "right wing" changes every 8 years and the term has no meaning outside of a certain countries political game. Kierkegaard certainly wasn't a political philosopher.
>>
>>1207620
>right wing philosophy
What the fuck is right wing philosophy?
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.