[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What could have gone wrong but didn't?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: George Washington.jpg (601 KB, 1588x1932) Image search: [Google]
George Washington.jpg
601 KB, 1588x1932
What could have gone wrong but didn't?
>>
>hey guys
>I'm gonna be president for life, hope you don't mind
>country descends into civil war
>Britain slowly regains control of the colonies by playing the different factions off against each other
>US ends up with revolutionary blue balls, like France, and ends up permafucked politically, like France
>>
>>1201577
>Lets deconstruct the very building blocks of the universe, what could go wrong?
>It does nothing
>It destroys the entire desert
>It destroys the entire west
>It destroys the whole continent
>It destroys the whole atmosphere
>It destroys the whole world
>It destroys the whole universe

At the time, setting this off was the work of absolute madmen
>>
>>1201686
Atoms had been split before that though.
>>
>>1201700
But not in an uncontrolled reaction
>>
>>1203632
>>1201700
I remember my physics teacher telling me that some theorists thought there was a risk that atoms would never stop splitting, exploding the whole planet or worse.
>>
File: godsavetheking.jpg (3 MB, 2510x3291) Image search: [Google]
godsavetheking.jpg
3 MB, 2510x3291
>>1201577
>What could have gone wrong?
How about pic related.
>>
>>1205110

God, that is such awesome artwork even if the game and DLC were just okay.
>>
Well the whole revolution he was just retreating and keeping his shivering redneck army together
He could have got cornerned or mutinied.
Plus didn't Charles Lee or some other fuck try to get Congress to give the job to him instead of George
>>
>>1205110
God forbid that we should ever be so miserable as to sink into a Republic!
>>
>>1201577
>implying anything went right

>lucked into being the most powerful country on earth
>reached its peak decades ago
>huge societal and cultural unrest looming

Every single revolution has been a mistake.
>>
>>1201597
Considering how large amounts of colonial population wanted Washington to be King or President/Dictator for life, I doubt it'd be as much of an issue for civil war then.
>>
>>1205326
>lucked into
Mate, it wasn't luck that made the US the most powerful country in the world. Not to say the US planned it, what nation really does, but it wasn't caused by the actions of others for the most part. The US controlled a large amount of contiguous livable and workable land and water sources, larger than most European states, even at the beginning of the state when the British left, and then made very intelligent purchases and wars that expanded their size. It was a huge Western state very soon. The European states had increased their size through conquering areas of very foreign people, and thus their size was doomed to fail even without the world wars. The main threat to the US becoming the most powerful state was Brazil, a state of similar size, but stability issues held that country back. In addition, the Brazilians had no Manifest Destiny, and thus did not attempt to get coasts on 2 oceans. The US didn't have the issues with the land they conquered because the natives had largely started to die out from disease, so it was mainly a matter of anglicizing other westerners in the Spanish and French lands they obtained.
>>
>>1205350
Well actually, retconning my old comment, the biggest threat to the US was the confederacy, which would split the power and leave both states less relevant. So it's a very good thing for both side of that conflict, that the Civil War failed.
>>
>>1201577
Well, specifically, honor kept a lot of things from ending quick.
>British snipers wouldn't kill enemy officers because honor
>knowing this, GW rides into battle and gives orders from his horse on the front line

Also
>the continental army had to be bribed with silver so they wouldn't crown GW King
>>
>>1203891
They also thought there was a chance they would set the hydrogen in the sky on fire and burn the planet down.'
-
>>1201577
lots of things, sticking with the articles of confederation. or a mass plague outbreak,

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.