[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Argentina and Brazil were predicted to become major world powers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: NZa01qb.jpg (459 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
NZa01qb.jpg
459 KB, 2048x1365
Argentina and Brazil were predicted to become major world powers in the early 20th century, just like Japan and China.

What happened? Why is Brazil unstable and Argentina so poor?
>>
>>1201061
What happened is those kinds of projections prove just how asinine economics is and how it's disgrace to academics.
>>
>>1201061
I see people "predicting" Brazil to become a major power today, kek.

Anyway, retarded economies based on exporting raw material, incompetent rulers and brits and americans meddling is what happened in pretty much all south america.
>>
>>1201077
Most economists don't exactly like the policies that led Argentina and Brazil to their current problems.
>>
>>1201077
Kek, this.

Economics is the formalized study of applying positivist formulas to unquantifiable scenarios.
>>
>>1201061
Economists cannot tell the future.

They can barely explain the past.
>>
>>1201061
mainly cultural "problems" like caudillismo and corruption
democracy is a cultural achievement
>>
>Brazil
>unstable

Not even an authoritarian regime that lasted for 20 years could bend and twist their institutions that were created during the Empire era. That's not what I would call being unstable.
>>
>>1201061
Brazil suffered from massive overpopulation much like India.

Argentina had bad political problems which hampered it.
>>
>>1201092
Like "free market" autism?
>>
>>1201061
>IF WE COUNT THESE NUMBERS AND LIST THIS FACTORS, IT WILL BECOME TRUE! :DDDDDDDDDDDD
STEMlogic.
>>
>>1201117
Your democratically elected president just got removed by a rightist coup
>>
>>1201124
Argentina and Brazil mostly followed CEPAL economics.
Import substitution, heavy government spending in certain industries and so on.
>>
>>1201128
>your
Not brazilian m8. I know that it's fun to run around triggering people with that meme, but it's not even close to the truth.
>>
>>1201147
Only during the 30s, but then after that Brazil got a democratic government that opened the country gradually and Argentina got Peronism.
>>
File: Mepe.png (12 KB, 200x204) Image search: [Google]
Mepe.png
12 KB, 200x204
>Self-proclaimed experts come in
>Exactly know what the causes
>>
>>1201155
>Only during the 30s, but then after that Brazil got a democratic government that opened the country gradually and

Not really. Celso Furtado was 10 years old in 1930.

Other than the 1964-1967 period and 1994-2004, Brazil followed a very interventionist Economic policy.
Specially from 1967 to 1993.

The Brazilian market has very large taxes on imported goods.

>Argentina got Peronism

Yeah. Do you think Peron was a free marketeer?
>>
A few spokesmen make an announcement Brazil is totally going to be an emerging economy, trying to get people to invest. Over next few weeks, multiple news reports surface of 12yos getting shot in the face and women raped in broad daylight in the streets, with crime waves only paralleled in Haiti, Jamaica and the south end of Chicago.

>fuckthat.jpg
>has greece hit rock bottom for my investment opportunity yet?
>>
>>1201207
I know what you're saying. There's major concern they can keep crime under control for the upcoming Olympic games.
>>
>>1201190
>Not really. Celso Furtado was 10 years old in 1930.

And he did the same as JK, but as every meaningful reform that happened in Argentina it was poorly executed and terminated halfway.

>Other than the 1964-1967 period and 1994-2004, Brazil followed a very interventionist Economic policy.

From 1964 the first military president deregulated Brazil and continued the plans of JK of investing in infrastructure and attracting foreign capital to the country. The country closed again after the first oil shock and only started to open itself again in 1990 and it followed orthodox policies until 2010 when Lula fired all the economic team that was in the government since 1990.

>Yeah. Do you think Peron was a free marketeer?

That's my point, dumdum. While Brazil was attracting foreign investments and improving their infrastructure with the 50 years in 5 plan Argentina was sealed and becoming a Syndicalist Republic, much like Venezuela under Chávez.
>>
>>1201061
Moronic gibsmedat populations.
>>
>>1201256
>And he did the same as JK, but as every meaningful reform that happened in Argentina it was poorly executed and terminated halfway.

Celso Furtado was not a President. He was an economist that was very influential in Brazil.

>From 1964 the first military president deregulated Brazil and continued the plans of JK of investing in infrastructure and attracting foreign capital to the country. The country closed again after the first oil shock and only started to open itself again in 1990 and it followed orthodox policies until 2010 when Lula fired all the economic team that was in the government since 1990.

Brazil is traditionally open to foreign investment and closed to foreign products.
The Brazilian strategy was that of bringing multinational companies so that Brazil would not need to import anything.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.