[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good books on The English Civil War and that peroid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1427757280162.gif (1 MB, 400x330) Image search: [Google]
1427757280162.gif
1 MB, 400x330
What are some good books on The English Civil War and that peroid in general? Specifically the royalist society and mindset
>>
>>1197361
It's my ultimate goal to create a game set in the ECW, not a shitty indie one but where you are a soldier or a good rts
>>
>>1197369
I just want to know about stuff
>>
Eikon Basilike gives the mindset
>>
>>1197467
Thanks this looks like a good starting place
>>
>>1197361
Chris Hill, Century of Revolution
>>
>>1197361
check this book list out OP
http://pastebin.com/xYCwsCz6
>>
>>1197821
>>1198136
Which book will give me less of an objective, detailed history of event but instead more of the subjective feel of the time. Something that would give me an understanding of the culture, society, and social order.
>>
>>1198369
Well Hill was a social historian more interested in ideology and mentalite than in "event" or "personage." Hill is also a classic (ie: seminal) work.
>>
>>1198369
check out the "primary source collections" part of the article, particularly this one, which is pretty cheap on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Stuart-Constitution-1603-1688-Documents-Commentary/dp/0521313279/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1464313253&sr=8-2&keywords=stuart+constitution

also found a book on the Royalist war effort which would probably talk about their beliefs/perspective.

Hutton, Ronald. The Royalist War Effort, 1642–1646. 2d ed. London: Routledge, 1999.
>A valuable and engaging study of the army of the losing side, exploring its organization, logistical planning, and leadership as well as its local contexts. Incorporates revisionist positions in its larger analysis, and includes an updated introduction in the second edition.
>>
>>1198580
also, Clarendon, a royalist who served as minister to Charles II after the restoration of 1660, wrote a famous history of the period, with a royalist take no doubt.
>>
>>1198582
found it OP
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_History_of_the_Rebellion
>>
>>1198586
also found a free download of an abridged version of the work, which spans many volumes
http://bookzz.org/book/818237/a624ab
>>
thank you all for your help
>>
File: 4025966.png (359 KB, 935x527) Image search: [Google]
4025966.png
359 KB, 935x527
>>1197821
>>1198371
I've read a bit of it and this is exactly what I wanted. Thank you for this.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.