[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the silliest thing about the Holy Roman Empire, /his/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: HRR_1789_EN.png (3 MB, 2650x2160) Image search: [Google]
HRR_1789_EN.png
3 MB, 2650x2160
What was the silliest thing about the Holy Roman Empire, /his/? I imagine this gigantic clump of city-states, duchies and whatever else must have attracted some snide comments from contemporaneous figures of its era.
>>
There is literally nothing silly about the Holy Roman Empire.
>>
>>1186634
What made them holy, roman, or an empire?
>>
File: 1461778430847.jpg (26 KB, 367x500) Image search: [Google]
1461778430847.jpg
26 KB, 367x500
>Your typical Voltaire poster
>>
>>1186634
>europe will never look this glorious again
Now it's all "muh blobbs muh blobbs. da bigger da beter!! ebin grosspreussen!!"
>>
>>1186643

The investiture of the empire was granted by the Pope and therefore by God.

It started out with a strong centralized figure Charlemagne but over time decentralized leaving the emperor with less and less direct power. Kind of like 'muh states rights' in the US.

It was Roman because the pope intended it to be its successor and initially included most of Italy. However, by 1450s the empire lost control over most of Italy.
>>
>>1186655
Charlemagne didn't found the Holy Roman empire though
>>
>>1186687
It's that typical European thing where they can have a government change every four years, but by some origin spiel, they're thousands of years old even if their whole identity and government has changed.
>>
>>1186687

The term Holy Roman Empire appears in the 13th century for the first time. Charlemagne was the one who started the whole continuation of the Roman Empire idea with his coronation in 800.
>>
>>1186638
Aside from being none of the three things its name claims it is?
>>
>>1187214
Rephrase your post please. I want to support your view but cannot do so unless it includes any sort of reference to a quote by a French philosopher.
>>
I wonder what Voltaire would have said if he knew that he'd end up as a meme on a Syrian podcast radio ham comment section
>>
>>1187980
>look mom, I said Japanese Cartoon Image Board in a funny way again!
>>
File: 1453308563073.jpg (73 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1453308563073.jpg
73 KB, 500x500
>>1187992
>thinking you're somehow superior to others on an American hentai forum
>>
>>1188063
>tfw people who take these kind of pictures actually exist
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.