[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Calvinism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: 56-calvin-luther.jpg (35 KB, 400x379) Image search: [Google]
56-calvin-luther.jpg
35 KB, 400x379
I can't for the life of me understand the difference between Calvinist beliefs and Lutheran beliefs. I get Martin Luther's worldly issues and most of his theological disagreements with Catholics. But I simply can't understand what Calvin was all about.

What I am saying is that I've read the words and I simply cannot grasp what they are conveying. Can someone give me an apples-and-oranges explanation of what Calvinism is?
>>
everyone is born into mortal sin and depravity and only calvinists are predestined for salvation
>>
>>1181379
predestination. also if I remember correctly Luther took communion as the literal body of christ while Calvin did not
>>
>>1181379
Double predestination is the big one, also subordination of the sacraments to the Word on the part of Calvin. Also their methods were as different as could be: Calvin was systematic to the core while Luther is more difficult to pin down on some things.

>>1181435
Luther did believe in the Real Presence, he just didn't accept transubstantiation.
>>
>>1181483
>Luther did believe in the Real Presence, he just didn't accept transubstantiation.
what's the difference?
>>
>>1181500
The Real Presence means that Jesus is really present in the Eucharist on the altar

Transubstantiation is the Catholic Church's explanation for how the Host becomes Jesus. The explanation I remember goes like this: regardless of its state of matter, water is always water. So if you freeze water, for example, it is physically ice but its substance (i.e. essence) remains water.

What happens when the priest says the Words of Institution is very similar: the "accident" of the bread and the wine (how it looks, tastes, smells, etc.) remains the same, but its substance (essence) is now Jesus.

Luther thought that was a bunch of Aristotelian nonsense, and put forth his own theory: Jesus and the bread are both present in the host on the altar.

This is what I'm remembering vaguely so if I got anything wrong let me know
>>
>>1181730
Well I'll give Luther an A for effort. Transubstantiation triggers me
>>
>>1181379
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutheranism#Comparison_among_Protestants

http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2013/06/lutherans-calvinists-salvation-and-the-sacraments
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.