[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is national history being taught in Japanese schools curriculum?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
How is national history being taught in Japanese schools curriculum? I'm interested particularly in how 19th century onward is being taught.
>>
File: 5234146.gif (981 KB, 1064x589) Image search: [Google]
5234146.gif
981 KB, 1064x589
>>1176060
>>
>>1176060
I'm interested too, I've been meaning to ask my language teacher, but I only see her for 2 hours a week, I'm forgetful and she has a busy schedule, so finding time is hard.
>>
>>1176069
This
>>
>>1176060
Probably the same way history is taught in any country. Denial or downplaying of the bad stuff and glorification of the good.
>>
>>1176060
This study will help:
Divided Memories: History Textbooks and the Wars in Asia
http://www.nippon.com/en/in-depth/a00703/

"Some common assumptions about history textbooks used in Japan turn out to be ill-founded. Far from inculcating patriotism, as many overseas observers assume, Japanese high school textbooks tend to dryly present a chronology of historical facts, with little interpretive narrative added. "
>>
>>1176060
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21226068
>>
>>1176344
>Far from inculcating patriotism, as many overseas observers assume, Japanese high school textbooks tend to dryly present a chronology of historical facts, with little interpretive narrative added. "
This is all of Southeast Asia generally.

Hence why Westerner baww at Asian historiography for lack of shit like "BUT WHAT IF WE VUEW THIS IN MARXIST NARRATIVE :DDDD"

Except Indians though. Indians follow Western schools of historical thinking 100%. Indians are big into Post-Colonialism for thing.
>>
>>1176353
>The Ministry of Education's guidelines for junior high schools state that all children must be taught about Japan's "historical relations with its Asian neighbours and the catastrophic damage caused by the World War II to humanity at large".
>"Based on our guideline, each school decides which specific events they focus on depending on the areas and the situation of the school and the students' maturity."

Basically, they are required to teach students about modern Japanese history, but the result has been that a lot of stuff in the 20th century gets glossed over while the curriculum jerks off over samurais.
>>
>>1176344
As the bbc article attests, the textbook is not the same as the hostory curriculum. One must also pay attention to how much time is purported to be dedicated to teaching each part, how much time is actually spent teaching a part, and how much a section is weighted in exams.

It is obvious that avoidance of certain subjects in terms of time spent teaching and in terms of emphasis in examination papers is a sign of subtle obfuscation of parts of history. The fact that lipservice is paid to it in textbooks does not mean that it is taught adequately in any way.

After all, when was the last time your history teacher taught a course that strictly followed divisions and divided their time exactly according to chapters in the book?
>>
>>1176409
Many of Japanese teachers of history are leftist and spend much time in teaching brutalities of Japanese military and the misery of war. About one third of history textbook is modern history because there are simply many records. It's also important in entrance exam as well. At least when I was a high school student in Japan, the education of Japanese history was like that.
>>
>>1176447
>Many of Japanese teachers of history are leftist

Is this actually true? Or did you pull that out of your ass?

I only have personal experience but I've never seen anything to indicate that at all.
>>
>>1176510
True. See 家永教科書訴訟 (Ienaga textbook screening suit). Most of the authors of Japanese history textbook are liberal or pacifist. So much so that some right wing people got mad and started to make their own version of revisionist textbook. But their share is less than 1%.
>>
>>1176060
they dindu nuffins
>>
>>1176360

So basically, in order to NOT offend everyone, Japan teaches history is an extremely dry, unappealing manner.

In Singapore's case, the Marxist point of view is illegal in the Constitution. Operation Coldstore is left out and the riots we had in the 60s are labelled as racial riots rather than religious and economic riots. The government also suggests that the riots were a BAD THING. JWs getting arrested is not even reported at all kin the news, and there is a distinct lack of Malays in the armored units, as is the fact that Catholics were arrested on trumped up charges.

And most people eat it up.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.