[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vikings
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
Tell me about the Christianization of Scandiviana. Was it successful because of blood and might or did it win by The Word?
>>
File: St.Olaf_II_of_Norway.jpg (487 KB, 1242x1600) Image search: [Google]
St.Olaf_II_of_Norway.jpg
487 KB, 1242x1600
>>1173637
St. Olafr won because God willed it so, just like with Constantine. Our Kingdom was also its most prosperous and expansive at this time, after St. Olafr won by the hand of God.
>>
Depends on the country, my county was "baptised" by blood lmao
>>
There was a battle between christianized vikings and pagan ones

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Strangford_Lough

christian ones won which means Christ is da biggest 'n da strongest
>>
>>1173646
country*
>>
>>1173637
It was a gradual process that took hundreds of years and occurred for mostly political reasons.
>>
It was mostly by the word till at least enough pagans was converted.
My country had a king that tried to convert to Christianity, but had to become a pagan again since his subjects was so negative of it.
>>
>>1173637
It's like Islam. It's by the "word" (Christian taqyya) until you achieve a critical mass. Then it's the sword.
>>
>>1173637
if you want to know the whys and hows of Christian expansion into northern Europe, there is only two words:

papal monies
>>
The Holy Roman Empire was putting pressure on the Nordic countries to convert. Because the HRE was getting pressure by the Papacy on why they were trading with the Papacy. Lithuanian tribes attacked neighboring Catholic settlements and convert mission. HRE set up The Teutonic Order to protect these people and mission. After a couple battle with the Teutonic Order, with pagans. Most converted, some needed extra encouragement.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.