[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>implying it wasn't holy, Roman, or an empire >It
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: >hre.jpg (3 MB, 3586x2792) Image search: [Google]
>hre.jpg
3 MB, 3586x2792
>implying it wasn't holy, Roman, or an empire

>It was holy because it was endorsed by the Pope
>Roman just because it was similar to the Roman empire
>Empire because it had Spanish, German, Italians, etc

Voltaire BTFO
>>
>>1286201
>The unholiest man on earth calling something "holy".

kek
>>
Perhaps it was to be honest.

Charlemange was the first to gain the title of Holy Roman Emperor, because he kicked the muslims out of France and went on a crusade to convert/kill the Saxon's till they accepted Christianity.

For all purposes, the Carolingian Renaissance did seem to be a revival of many Roman traditions after antiquity and he largely did restore Imperial rule in the West.

If you can consider the Roman Catholic Church to be the spiritual and in ways cultural dictate of the Roman Empire, Charlemagne as the dude who reunified the West into a coherent Empire and who did try and revive Roman tradition (ie Carolingian Renaissance) + added legitimacy at having kicked muslims and pagans out,

plus the notion that Catholics were Romans, and him being the new protector and Emperor of these Roman-Catholics (Church being the biggest attempt at Roman continuity)

Holy Roman Emperor seems like a pretty fitting title
>>
>>1286201
Why is that two headed eagle not some kind of monster in DnD?
Why didn't it find its way into mythology, like existing in a fable?
Too cool of a thing to just remain as some old timey symbol for dead empires 2bh
>>
>Hold Rome
>Establish the pope in Rome
>THATS NOT REAL ROME BZYATINE WUZ RUM N SHEEIT

We all be manicheans and muslims if it wasn't for the holy roman empire
>>
>>1286201
>Roman just because it was similar to the Roman empire
Rome was part of the empire for hundreds of years.
>>
File: mauler.jpg (49 KB, 500x544) Image search: [Google]
mauler.jpg
49 KB, 500x544
>>1287051
> Why is that two headed eagle not some kind of monster in DnD?
Because it is just an eagle... with two heads? Not really monstrous if you ask me.
>>
>>1287051
The eagle was only a symbol, never a mythological creature. Would be cool as shit.
>>
Where did Voltaire claim that it was never Holy, Roman or an Empire?
It simply wasn't any of those things anymore in his time.
>>1287107
There's tremendous amounts of source material and just look at it, it looks awesome and hueg.
>>
>>1287123
We can make entire D&D expansion on /his/ if you really into this. Specter of communism for example another missed spook in the monster manuel.
>>
>>1287143
Honestly sounds neat, not sure if I'm up to the task however, I'm not that experienced.
>>
>>1286201
>HRE
>Spanish
I want Americans to leave this board
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.