[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck does "Celtic" mean? I thought it meant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 853x480
What the fuck does "Celtic" mean? I thought it meant "pre-English conquest Ireland", but now I keep learning that it was a shorthand for "European territory not conquered by Rome".
>>
What a dumb thread.
>>
>>1172809
Well fuck you too, jackass.
>>
>>1172804
It means whatever you think it means.
>>
File: Celts_in_Europe.png (14 KB, 450x314) Image search: [Google]
Celts_in_Europe.png
14 KB, 450x314
>>1172804
Celtic peoples are peoples speaking Celtic languages.

The only Celts left are the Insular Celts of Britain, Ireland and Brittany.

On one hand you have the Gaels, which include the Irish, Manx and Scottish Highlanders.

On the other hand there's the Brythons, which include the Cornish, Breton and Welsh, as well as the English and possibly the Scots before Ingvaeonic conquest.

There was also the Gauls and Belgae in France, Galatians in Turkey, Celtiberians in Spain and the Picts, though all of these are pretty much gone.

Celtic languages are related to Italic languages like Latin and French, but split off very early and their ancestral language developed in the Alps. Then the Germanics invaded from the north, Turks and Slavs from the east and Italics/Latins from the south and that's pretty much why there's so few Celtic peoples left.
>>
>>1172804
Old western europeans that got cucked the fuck out of existense by fenno-scandis, russians and romans.

Most modern "germans" and so on are actually genetically bog niggers, only the elites are actually related to the fenno-scandinavian and russian aryans.
>>
>>1172923
>>1172913
Did they have a culture?
>>
>>1172936
Yes, to be servile shit tier bog niggers
>>
>>1172936
Yes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_mythology
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_art
>>
>>1172913
>Galatians in Turkey
This always blows my mind. Like hearing that Roman citizens managed to catch news of the New World.
>>
>>1172982
The ones that leave me speechless are the germanic kingdoms of North Africa and the fact that Greeks in Afghanistan influenced East Asian buddhism.
>>
>>1172804
It means places where Celts lived.

There was a time when Celts were all over the place, kind of like Latins, Germans or Slavs are now. But they went the way of the Illyrian and now Celts only exist in the most isolated places.
>>
>>1173361
I was amazed that the world's oldest mosque outside of Saudi Arabia is in China.
>>
>>1173394
What the hell? And it's in fucking guangzhou too, no even in Uyghurstan.
>>
>>1173361
The only thing that fucked with my head was the jewish community in China during the middle ages

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaifeng_Jews
>>
>>1173434
>Most scholars agree that aJewish community has existed inKaifengsince theNorthern Song Dynasty(960–1127), though some date their arrival to theTang Dynasty(618–907) or earlier.

Unbelievable.
>>
>>1172936
The culture of cuckoldry. They praised the horned (cuck) god.
>>
>>1173434
>>1173451
Yeah, there was a lot of trade, migration and communication over Central Asia, probably more than people realize. Tang dynasty was particularly cosmopolitan too.

I'm kind of curious to what extent a Jewish community in Kaifeng would have been affected when the Jurchens took over Northern China, or when other groups took over. I imagine the community was small and largely innocuous. There were Zoroastrians, Nestorian Christians and Muslims who came to China fairly early too. I even read that Manichaeism influenced the Reb Turban Rebellion.
>>
>>1173394
>>1173431

Sauce? I've seen pretty old mosques in central asia and eastern Iran.
>>
>>1173471
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huaisheng_Mosque
>>
>>1173480
Thanks senpai, impressive. Sad that the actual building is mainly less old, the early architecture looked like the most important thing after the first impression.
>>
>>1173434
>>1173451
That's not THAT crazy, I mean plenty of jews were merchants even then.

What's really weird are the Nasrani in India, nobody knows how the hell that happened.
>>
English are celts too, fuck celts as anti-anglo bullshit
>>
>>1173530
The Angles are Germanic though.
>>
>>1173530
No, the English are Normans.
>>
>>1173614
Most "germans" are actually bog niggers though, just because they were cucked by an aryan elite for a little while it doesn't change the fact that almost all of them are stinky smelly useless low IQ bog niggers.
>>
>>1172913
What would help everyone to understand even more who were they is to say who can be compared to them. As in what were the other ethnic groups other than the Celts because very often people mistake different groups, subgroups and the periods they were living in. Who lived in those gray ares? Proto-Slavs? Wends? I understand that the Germanic tribes came later.
>>
>>1172804
>What the fuck does "Celtic" mean?
A loose ethno-linguistic group comprised of tribes and nations speaking celtic languages. I'm a celt, and I speak one such language. AMA

>>1172913
>Celtic languages are related to Italic languages like Latin and French
This is debatable. I happen to think it's true because I speak Irish and there are fuckloads of obvious cognates.
>>
>>1173434
Manicheans too
>>
>>1173466
>They praised the horned (cuck) god.
t. Wiccan American with 1/69 Welsh ancestry
>>
>>1173530
>English are celts too
No they're Germanics, specifically eternal Anglos
>>
>>1173879
t. John "totally not english" McDonald the Scot.
>>
>>1173887
Only about 30% german

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/mar/18/genetic-study-30-percent-white-british-dna-german-ancestry
>>
>>1173912
Celtic, Germanic and Anglo are cultural terms not genetic.
>>
>>1173530
English are Anglo-Saxons.

This is nothing to be ashamed of, Anglo-Saxons are cool and the greatest ally of Ireland before Normans ruined everything.
>>
>>1174240
Anglo-Saxons raided Ireland and destroyed churches and monasteries even while being Christian
>>
>>1173965
Yep, because they're all the same bog nigger trash.
>>
>>1173912
That same study says there's no such thing as "Celtic" gentically so they are still more Germanic than Celtic.
>>
>>1174255
They didn't really.
>>
>>1174274
>IN the year of our Lord 684, Egfrid, king of the Northumbrians, sending his general, Berct, with an army into Ireland, miserably laid waste that unoffending nation, which had always been most friendly to the English; insomuch that the invading force spared not even the churches or monasteries
>>
>>1174285
Once, for no reason, and then ransomed back the captives.
>>
>>1174260
What's with the big dislike for some ancient tribes?
>>
>>1175607
It's just one anon spouting the same meme words over and over again.
>>
>>1172936
It wasn't a unified culture by any stretch, but yes, Celtic is generally considered an umbrella cultural group. It's a bit iffy though because much of these ideas are based old-fashioned archaeological theory
>>
>>1173516
>St. Thomas shows up
>Nasrani Christians
That's how it happened
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.