[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /his/ feel about Neo-Confucianism? I'm rather fond
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 625330479_512.png (2 MB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
625330479_512.png
2 MB, 1024x1024
How does /his/ feel about Neo-Confucianism? I'm rather fond of Confucius and/or his students, but Neo-Confucianism is too rationalist (I mean that in the classical sense) for my taste. I also think the Neo-Confucianist theory of Tao is perverse.
>>
Neo Confucianism is Murrican tier Protestantism but for East Asians

>Hurr Durr muh hypotheticals
>>
>>1169943
What, it's nothing like burger theology. It's more Enlightenment secular thought.
>>
>>1169922
I read and re-read the analects regularly, but I know next to nothing of Neo-confucianism, except that it's a later movement. What's it about?
>>
>>1170079
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Confucianism
>>
>>1170088
It's more interesting to have it explained to me by someone knowledgable. It bumps an interesting thread too.
>>
>>1170124
Whereas Confucius emphasizes tradition, Neo-Confucianism emphasizes reason and tries make it the new center of his system. Not necessarily "reason" as we see it today, though, but sometimes in a Platonic sense or a Hegelian sense.
>>
>>1170135
Oh no! Not reason! You can't have that in a religion. How horrible!
>>
>I'm rather fond of Confucius and/or his students, but Neo-Confucianism is too rationalist (I mean that in the classical sense) for my taste.
Not an argument.
>I also think the Neo-Confucianist theory of Tao is perverse.
On what basis do you make this claim?
>>
>>1170135
Oh come on, you aren't even going to try to explain it in its historical context, and you're just going to use the word "Hegelian" to discredit it? I thought you were a decent poster, Constantine, but apparently over the course of Orthodox Lent I forgot a few things about you.
Neo-Confucianism is a syncretic philosophy that integrates Buddhism, Taoism, and Confucianism into a unified set of texts, theories, technologies, and meditative practices. It emerged in the Tang dynasty and achieved its pinnacle in the Ming dynasty. It served as the basis for the Confucian examination system, and it had a major influence on the governments and spiritualities of the countries surrounding China.
Constantine is convinced that Neo-Confucianism ought to be judged from the perspective of Orthodox Christianity, which means that he's bound to dismiss it out of hand as heretical. I'm surprised that he hasn't done this, and has confined his critique to "muh rationalism" conceived in a very broad and practically meaningless sense.
I admit, there are similarities between Neo-Confucian metaphysics and absolute idealism, but come on. Don't even pretend that you've offered a proper critique of Neo-Confucianism here.
>>
>>1172013
Orthodox lent was also a lent for us from his shitposting
>>
>>1169922

Neo-Confucianism has supported extremely stable societies for centuries. Not only China, but Korea. I'd say Korea was even more Neo-Confucianist than China was.

I think if the Western world started studying Neo-Confucianism, we'd have a Renaissance of sorts, but instead our academics, who are too invested in Enlightenment dogmatism, throw it in the New Age dustbin like a fucking retard.
>>
>>1172013
I don't pretend that was a proper critique (that wasn't actually meant to be a critique), but I do stand by what I said in my analysis. The syncretism is mostly cosmetic, and does to the systems in question what Paul Tillich does to Christianity.

>>1171996
>On what basis do you make this claim?
Tao is presented as a force almost in antagonism with matter.
>>
>>1172663
>The syncretism is mostly cosmetic, and does to the systems in question what Paul Tillich does to Christianity.
I'm not that familiar with Tillich but this seems like an accurate description.
>Tao is presented as a force almost in antagonism with matter.
I thought the Tao contained matter within its universality?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.