[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any books or articles about how logical fallacies are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: 1462061301318.jpg (139 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1462061301318.jpg
139 KB, 1600x1200
Are there any books or articles about how logical fallacies are wrong? People always say I use them when I argue with them like I'm automatically wrong, but it always seems like a dumb copout response.
>>
>>1167811
how logical fallacies are wrong?

that doesn't make sense. but using a fallacy doesn't make you incorrect, it just means that your argument is invalid.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/the-fallacy-fallacy
>>
File: out of touch.jpg (50 KB, 500x534) Image search: [Google]
out of touch.jpg
50 KB, 500x534
>it always seems like a dumb copout response.
Or it's you who're bad at arguing and reasoning.
>>
>>1167811
>People always say I use them when I argue with them like I'm automatically wrong,
Get off reddit then.

Nobody I know uses "fallacy" spam. If anything just say "the fallacy fallacy dictates that fallacious reasoning does not make a conclusion false".
>>
Posters spouting 'fallacy' only upsets me when people use them outside the context of an actual debate.

Like, I make a post for the purpose of calling someone or something garbage & shit & suitable only for mongoloids and someone turns around and starts going "NICE AD HOMINEM"

Like, no shit. That was the point of the most. To disparage the thing in question. I'm not debating you, I'm insulting you.
>>
File: collapse.jpg (82 KB, 624x658) Image search: [Google]
collapse.jpg
82 KB, 624x658
>>1167868
>If anything just say "the fallacy fallacy dictates that fallacious reasoning does not make a conclusion false".

There are people alive right now in this very thread that do not understand why illogical arguments are illogical.
>>
>>1167811

Kek.

In other words you make shitty arguments and can't grasp why.
>>
>>1167868

People who reply with "fallacy fallacy" when they have a logical fallacy pointed out are just plain idiots. You're as bad as the spammers if you do this.

A fallacy fallacy only applies when you are trying to make a positive argument based on nothing more than the fact your opponent has made a bad argument.

I agree though, people who spam "that's a fallacy!" all the time are annoying, especially as that sort of person usually uses them incorrectly. Used judiciously though it is appropriate to point them out some of the time when someone has made a blatantly fallacious argument.
>>
Fallacies aren't always wrong. Certainly not all of them all the time.
>>
>>1168010

If you are using a fallacy it always means your argument is invalid, even if your conclusion is by random chance correct.
>>
>>1167976
The fallacy fallacy as I understand it just means that because there is a fallacy present in something doesn't mean it's necessarily wrong. So just because someone uses a slippery slope argument doesn't mean that x wont necessarily lead to y.
>>
>>1167844
Trying to argue with fallacious idiots using logic is like bringing a knife to a gun fight, you just can't win.
>>
File: System (25).png (402 KB, 982x495) Image search: [Google]
System (25).png
402 KB, 982x495
> Are there any books or articles about how logical fallacies are wrong?
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/fallacies/
>>
>>1168559
Deductive validity isn't necessary for a successful argument
>>
>>1167811
>People btfo me because my arguments are shit and illogical, help me
Work on your arguements
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.